[WorksForMe] Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8 - [PCI configuration begin ]

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
DrD
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint, Win XP, Win 7

[WorksForMe] Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8 - [PCI configuration begin ]

Post by DrD »

Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8

Snow Leopard worked fine when I installed to base 10.6.0 (from the DVD). After installing the updates the OS recommended, this comes up while booting:

[PCI configuration begin ]

Google hasn't helped; the answers for the code above are all across the map.

Anyone with experience in this matter, and could help out, would be most appreciated!
Last edited by socratis on 4. Dec 2017, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8 - [PCI configuration begin ]

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DrD

Re: Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8 - [PCI configuration begin ]

Post by DrD »

My bad. I spent a good portion last evening working on this. It wasn't actually the upgrade that created the problem, I also did a quick tweak that was supposed to change the resolution (from an online source that failed me), and that caused the issue. Deleted the whole VM, started over, created a backup vdi this time, upgraded, and wallah, no issues. :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DrD wrote:I also did a quick tweak that was supposed to change the resolution (from an online source that failed me), and that caused the issue.
That's what happens when you trust questionable online sources and not the User Manual. ;)
What was the "tweak" that you tried? Source site?

Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DrD

Re: [WorksForMe] Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8 - [PCI configuration begin

Post by DrD »

I can't remember which exact sight I was at originally, but it's method 2 shown here:
http://www.sysprobs.com/increase-mac-os ... are-player
For whatever reason, that seems to have broken it. I ran "VBoxManage setextradata “VM name” VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4" from the command prompt. Then of course I ran the updates as mentioned, then restarted, and then [PCI configuration begin ] thing happened.

When I started over, I made a backup, and then followed 'Bobbins's advice here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54030.

That did the trick, no crashes, screen resolution was raised, and I got to set my own customer resolution as a bonus. Upgraded to 10.8 and no issues.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [WorksForMe] Snow Leopard guest fails to boot after upgrade to 10.6.8 - [PCI configuration begin

Post by socratis »

You are following Hackintosh advice, and you're wondering why it fails? How about if you read the user manual, Ch. 3.14.1. Video modes in EFI. Note that this behavior changed with the 5.2.x series, so if you're still in the 5.1.x series, you should read the User Manual that comes with that version. Just go to Help » Contents » search for EFI.

You have a perfectly up-to-date searchable PDF version of the User Manual in your computer. I would suggest to take advantage of that, instead of wondering the webs looking for and applying information that only the blog author knows where it came from...
DrD

Post by DrD »

...you're wondering why it fails? How about if you read the user manual
No one ever mentioned it to me before :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I know it's not customary reading procedure, and users are really scared of the user manual, but, now you know ;)

BTW, I'm moving this to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts", since the problem was with the guest.