[Solved] Failed to attach USB device... busy with previous request

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Admiral

[Solved] Failed to attach USB device... busy with previous request

Post by Admiral »

Host: Windows Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Virtualbox 5.2.2 with extension pack
Guest: MSEdge Win10 and Kali Linux (kind of irrelevant, I believe it is a host problem)
USB NIC: Realtek 8812au; Alfa AWUS036ACH

This seems to be a problem with my windows host but I have no idea why. I get the following error:
realtek failed to attach.png
realtek failed to attach.png (14.28 KiB) Viewed 139168 times
Things I have tried:
- enabled USB 2.0, created a filter with the device attached with guest down, then booted the guest
- deleted upper filters using regedit
- tried different USB ports
- disabled the NIC on the host
- removed the NIC from the host
- uninstalled Vbox and reinstalled as admin

Something that I noticed is that when I remove the NIC, it still shows under the USB tab. I know that VBox on my mac automatically removes the NIC from the USB menu when I disconnect the NIC, but on Windows 10 it still remains. I am not sure why it does that. Screenshot for reference:
realtek device.png
realtek device.png (64.94 KiB) Viewed 139168 times
I believe is has something to do with Win10 host. Maybe there's a service that is using it but I have no idea what or why since I already disabled and even removed the device from my host.
I do not have wireshark installed on my host so the USBPS thing doesn't apply.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by socratis on 16. Aug 2019, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to attach USB device... busy with previous request

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Thanks. I was able to navigate to this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39104&start=30#p373718

For future reference: make sure to not disable the device on your host. Keep the device enabled, and allow the USB filter to capture the device.
Nick Graber

Post by Nick Graber »

I am having the same issue where the USB device is captured by the USB driver but it can't be attached to the Guest. I have had this issue across many version of VirtuaBox 5.2, 6.0 and the most recent test build of 6.0 I have done my best to follow step 8 of the troubleshooting guide. Below is the device I tested with but I am having this issue with all USB devices.

Index: 1
Active: yes
Name: Generic Mass Storage [0100]
VendorId: 058f
ProductId: 6387
Revision: 0100
Manufacturer: Generic
Product: Mass Storage
Remote: 0
Serial Number: C120899F

Thank you for your help,
Nick Graber
Attachments
VM USB Info.txt
VM USB Info
(8.71 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Windows10-2019-08-15-16-45-04.zip
Log File
(39.21 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Version and VM info.txt
Version and VM Info
(7.15 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nick Graber wrote: I have done my best to follow step 8 of the troubleshooting guide
Yes, but not step #4: USB Filters where it talks about which values to keep in and which to not. So, try with the Name, VendorID and ProductID. ONLY.

Then in the VM log I didn't see anything getting inserted. Did you insert the device after the VM got started? If you did, and there's no evidence of it in the log, that means that the VBoxUSBFilter is not given a chance to grab the USB device, because something else has already grabbed it. Take a look at #5: Common problems and the list of known USB filter applications. See if you have something similar installed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nick Graber

Post by Nick Graber »

Thank you for taking the time to look at my log file and point me in the right direction. I had also tried step 4 previously with just putting in just the name, VID , and PID but it didn't help. What solved the issue was your comment about something else taking control of the USB before Virtuabox. I had previously disregarded section 5 where wireshark was mentioned as the error code that was listed stated the device being busy and not captured. Anyhow I now have USB working again after removing wireshark and rebooting.

Thank you again for help I greatly appreciate it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad I could help. And since all the OPs in this thread have had their issues solved, I'm going to lock this to prevent me-too's. It's easy enough to create a new thread. Marking as [Solved].