Can't access shared/mounted folders until user logs on to guest VM?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
seanvree

Can't access shared/mounted folders until user logs on to guest VM?

Post by seanvree »

Host: Windows 10E x64 1709 CU
VB version: 5.2.0

Guest: Windows 10P x64 1709
Guest Additions v: 5.2.0

Shared folders on host / Auto-mount / access: Full
(physicalA) a:\
(PhysicalB) b:\
(physicalE) e:\

PROBLEM:

Above folders show up as Mounted folders on guest when logged in, but NOT automatically after boot/reboot.

Does the shared-folder / "auto-mount" option mount a folder as a drive letter when the computer boots or does the user have to be logged on?
The UI states "When checked, the guest OS will TRY to automatically mount the shared folder on STARTUP " however, recently, it seems those folders are not mounted/or accessible UNTIL a local user logs on to the machine? If I log off the machine, they are still accessible, but from a cold start, the folders are inaccessible until ANY local user logs on.

I have several services that auto-start with the Guest machine that need access to those folders, I THOUGHT this was working, but now I'm not even sure.

Thanks,
seanvree

Re: Can't access shared/mounted folders until user logs on to guest VM?

Post by seanvree »

Bump. Anyone?!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm not 100% sure about the Linux implementation, but at least for Windows, this is exactly what happens. The mounting happens in the user context, not in the system context. So, someone has to login in order for the automount to happen. I don't see any reason why it would be implemented any different in Linux or Solaris. OSX doesn't even have that option.

If you're looking for something more "permanent" solution, I would suggest the old traditional SMB/NFS networked folders, not the convenience/shortcomings of the VirtualBox shared folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
seanvree

Post by seanvree »

That's what I thought as well, but I was questioning myself as the UI states " mount the shared folder on STARTUP" Startup isn't the proper terminology. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Last edited by socratis on 4. Dec 2017, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.