[Solved] Problem with internet in windows XP SP3

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
leotwix

[Solved] Problem with internet in windows XP SP3

Post by leotwix »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have a very big problem. I installed VirtualBox the latest version for my computer with Windows 10 and download the ISO to install Windows XP SP3 32 bits in the virtualbox. But when I login, I do not have an Internet connection.
Use internet via WIFI, also download the intel driver:
Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP *, Final Release
I Installed it, also use the guest option for the shared folder and all good, installed. Restart the virtualbox, and nothing that I get internet from my WIFI, I tried to change the network configuration to "bridge adapter" with my wifi card in Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, in advanced I am using the adapter type : Intel PRO / 1000 T Server (82543GC) and the rest default. But I'm still not connected to the internet, I enter internet explorer and he sends me that I do not have internet.

I do not have any other options, so I appeal to you to help me with this problem. Thank you, thank you :(
Last edited by socratis on 1. Dec 2017, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with internet in windows XP SP3

Post by socratis »

Since you're new to the virtualization world, then you shouldn't be messing with the defaults. Do *not* change the network card from the default "PCnet-FAST III", do *not* install 3rd party drivers, do *not* change the network settings from the default NAT to Bridged over wireless. You're looking for trouble.

If you can ping your gateway, if you can ping 8.8.8.8, if you can ping google.com, VirtualBox is working as it should. Do not expect to open Internet Explorer and being able to navigate, you won't be able to. It's too old.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leotwix

Post by leotwix »

Hello, thanks for answering. I must admit that I do not know much about this topic, I just wanted to test how the virtualbox works on my computer to do some personal things but this other PC, in this case Windows XP, since it does not weigh much like Windows 7 or 8 does. that I decided to install windows XP.
I have done the ping test, and apparently the internet is working, I have reinstalled windows xp again, without touching anything from the NET. It does a ping correctly with MS to the websites 8.8.8.8 and google, I can't post a image because the forum doesn't let me.

But when I enter the internet explorer, I still get that I do not have internet. What should I do to be able to access the web from this windows xp? I need to install google chrome apart? Or something specific? Or is it simply not possible?

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You need to install a modern browser that still supports XP. AFAIK none of the popular browsers still support XP, but if you Google you can find out the last version that did.
leotwix

Post by leotwix »

Ok thanks mpack, I will try it. I'm going to check for a browser and comment in a moment :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

A quick search for "Windows XP browser 2017" shows several articles that list the browsers currently working with WinXP. Pick your favorite, or discover a new favorite ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Late versions of Firefox won't work in XP but version 37.0.1 will. There are download sites which still have it.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually, up to and including Firefox 52 will run just fine on WinXP. On my WinXP right now I have the latest supported Firefox 52.2.1 ESR: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/ where you can also check the System Requirements.

And as luck would have it, it just prompted me to update to 52.5.0 ESR. ;)
leotwix

Post by leotwix »

I appreciate your comments :D , I have been able to access the Internet through another browser that was not Internet Explorer, it was true that it was the browser that was old :shock: . Install the "SeaMonkey" browser and it works perfectly :D
Thank you very much everyone for your help, if I have any other problem I will gladly ask :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

socratis wrote:Actually, up to and including Firefox 52 will run just fine on WinXP. On my WinXP right now I have the latest supported Firefox 52.2.1 ESR: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/ where you can also check the System Requirements.

And as luck would have it, it just prompted me to update to 52.5.0 ESR. ;)
Yep. When I checked mine, that happened here too.
Bill