How to clone a .vdi

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
julow

How to clone a .vdi

Post by julow »

Hi ^^

I'm trying to copy my .vdi in oder to use it as a master. I would like to create a network with four of this copy later so those copy must be able to run at the same time on my PC...

I use Virtualbox 2.0.2 and my OS is ubuntu 7.10

I hope you've understand what I mean (I'm french ^^ :? )

Thanks for your help!
Dest
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Ubuntu, FreeBSD

Post by Dest »

what your looking for (i think) is the clonevdi command

vboxmanage clonevdi {sourcevdi} {destinationvdi}
julow

Post by julow »

I have already try this command but I have to use VirtualBox-ose for that and I work on VirtualBox 2.0.2 and not the OSE version... Moreover, when I tried this command my .vdi was enable to run at the same time that the original...

:cry:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

julow wrote:I have already try this command but I have to use VirtualBox-ose for that and I work on VirtualBox 2.0.2 and not the OSE version... Moreover, when I tried this command my .vdi was enable to run at the same time that the original...
No, you don't need to use the OSE version to use the clonevdi command. On Windows hosts you just open a command prompt Window, navigate to the VBox folder (or set a path), and then type the command. It's unclear to me whether Ubuntu is your guest or host, if its the host then someone else have to tell you how to do it.

The clonevdi command will copy the VDI file, it will not clone the VM. You need to create a new VM for the new VDI, and you need to be really careful about which bits of hardware must be kept the same (eg. you must have the same hard disk controller), and which bits must be different, eg. the MAC address for networking.

You said you were unable to run the two VMs at the same time. What was the error? Obviously you must have enough memory in your host PC for multiple VMs, leaving enough for the host. On Windows hosts I believe they can't both be using bridged networking.
kjpetrie
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Unity Linux

Post by kjpetrie »

Linux is case-sensitive. The command is VBoxManage.

Otherwise it's as above.
VirtualBox OSE on PCLinuxOS 2010 on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard (Atom 330), 2GB DDR2 RAM, Maxtor STM325031, Hitachi CDR-7930, ?HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor, Speedtouch 330 DSL modem
chika.tambun
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows

Re: How to clone a .vdi

Post by chika.tambun »

clonehd or clonevdi not work

just do this simple command:
chika@earth:~/fz$ cp jeos-8.10.vdi ../jeos-8.10-worker.node.vdi
chika@earth:~/fz$ cd
#to made unique vdiuuid if u wanna clone 1 vdi to some vdi u must have different uuid, if not vb will reject your wish
chika@earth:~/fz$ VBoxManage internalcommands setvdiuuid jeos-8.10-worker.node.vdi

then add new hardisk, work flawlessly