Virtualbox More than 4 Serial ports?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SkyQuake

Virtualbox More than 4 Serial ports?

Post by SkyQuake »

Hello,

I'm new to Virtualbox, and am trying it out. I have an old Fedora installation in a Clonezilla image that I am trying to virtualize on a Windows 10 system through Virtualbox. This old installation had an 8-port PCI serial card that I am going to transfer over to the new Windows 10 system. The extra serial ports are necessary to run old home automation equipment. Is there a way for Virtualbox to pass through 8 serial ports? I see that there is only an option for 4.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox More than 4 Serial ports?

Post by mpack »

Not that I know of. 8 serial ports is not something a standard PC is capable of, and VirtualBox always emulates standard PC chipsets. You would need something like an 8 port USB serial adapter.
SkyQuake

Post by SkyQuake »

Would Virtualbox support passing through the serial ports of such a USB adapter from the host Windows 10 to the old guest Fedora that had a PCI 8-port card? I suppose it would bypass the 4 serial ports offered by Virtualbox natively.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Dec 2017, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, a USB adapter would in principle be owned by the VM, so you could anything with it that any other PC could do with it. This would be separate from the 4 ports provided by the motherboard emulation.