Can't install from installation disk

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wfstanley
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 (64 bit)

Can't install from installation disk

Post by wfstanley »

Hi,

I am trying to install a Windows 7 guest from the install disk that I got when I bought this computer. The host is Mint Linux and the computer originally was a windows 7 machine from Dell. I can read and start the installation process but it lacks mouse support. When I click the mouse on the machine while it is in the process of installation, it aborts the installation and I get an error message saying... there is a technical problem involving the mouse I get a blue screen of death with the following info....

When the machine has been started, the mouse icon in Scale mode at the bottom right in the window is greyed out indicating that it has not been captured.
A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_ INFO
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again  etc...
Technical information
*** STOP: 0x00000074  (0x0000000000002, 0x
I tried installation in both full screen and scale mode with the same results. I do get to the starting windows and then get the error message. The mouse works fine for the host, it just is not present for the guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't install from installation disk

Post by mpack »

Install disks bundled with a computer are often actually recovery disks, not install disks. I suggest looking very closely at the label.

The differemce is that recovery disks copy from an installer tucked away in a hidden partition on the original PC. That hidden partition doesn't exist in a VM.

Also, a recovery image will typically only include drivers for the original hardware, not the very different hardware you might find in a VM.

Finally, Dell used to be notorious for providing BIOS locked installers: if they don't see no Dell BIOS they don't install. Of course you won't see a Dell BIOS in a VirtualBox VM. I don't know if this was still the case in the Win7 era.
wfstanley

Post by wfstanley »

This is an actual install disk. I have used this disk before to create a VM but this VM has a problem in that it acn't update Avast. I decided to start fresh. While I was at it, I also decided to update virtual box . Previously, I was using the virtualbox version on the Mint Linux repository. Then I noticed what was called virtualbox-nonfree. I executed apt-get purge virtualbox to entirely get rid of the old version and then installed virtualbox-nonfree. My problem started there...

I was able to import the old Window7 seven virtual machine without any problem. When I tried to use my install disk, I am not getting a complete install. The problem is that the mouse is not captured (the keyboard is captured). I need to get the mouse captured so the installation can proceed past the "Starting Windows" screen (the screen is past the text only part of the install. At that point, I think that the mouse problems prevent the install to proceed.

More on the mouse problem... The icon on the VM status bar indicated that the mouse is disabled. I looked everywhere but can't find where the mouse can properly be captured.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wfstanley wrote: I executed apt-get purge virtualbox to entirely get rid of the old version and then installed virtualbox-nonfree. My problem started there...
I would suggest to purge everything VirtualBox related (minus the VMs of course) and install the official VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wfstanley

Post by wfstanley »

OK. I ran "apt-get purge virtualbox*" to remove EVERYTHING that was virtualbox related. When I first installed linux, the virtualbox guest additions were put in automatically. Since they might have been involved, I thought it wise to purge them as well.

I looked at the link that you provided and although good, has a problem. I am running Mint Linux (which is derived from Ubuntu, if I recall correctly) but am unsure which version in the list to install since Mint Linux is not on the list. I am running Mint Linux - Rebecca - 17.1. Also I would need to install the correct guest additions. Is there anything else that I need to install since everything virtualbox related is now gone.

Bill S.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Search for "Mint 17.1 based on Ubuntu". You'll end up in the release notes for Linux Mint, where it says:
Linux Mint 17.1 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. Make sure to read the Ubuntu release notes.
As for the Guest Additions, do you see the Guest part? That means that you don't need to install them in your host, you need to install them in your Guest. And no, you don't need to download them, they come bundled with your VirtualBox installation. See Ch. 4.2 of the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wfstanley

Post by wfstanley »

I'm still having problems...

I tried to install virtualbox 5.2 and followed all the steps indicated on the download page. It seems that virtualbox has not been installed.

The icons for it are absent (I'm using the mate desktop) and when I opened the terminal and tried to execute it from the command line I got the following...
bill@aragorn ~ $ virtualbox

The program 'virtualbox' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-qt
I do not want to run the version of virtualbox that is in the Mint repository. Since I don't use the command line very much (I use the gui that is provided) I am not sure about what to do to properly install version 5.2.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Use the terminal and install the version from VirtualBox.org.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i <the full package name>
If you receive any warnings about missing packages run the following in the same terminal

sudo apt-get install -f
Then reboot the host and see if it works.
wfstanley

Post by wfstanley »

Please forgive my ignorance. I have used linux for many years so I am not a complete newbie. I usually install software using the Software manager gui and very rarely use install hardware from the command line.

I downloaded the VirtualBox 5.2 Trusty for i386. This came to me as an archive which I extracted to my desktop. There were three folders named etc, usr and DEBIAN. Obviously, I am to do something with the archive but I don't know what I have to do next.

In the previous answer you said...
Use the terminal and install the version from VirtualBox.org.
Code: Select all   Expand view
sudo dpkg -i <the full package name>

If you receive any warnings about missing packages run the following in the same terminal
Code: Select all   Expand view
sudo apt-get install -f

Then reboot the host and see if it works.
I also am not sure of <the full package name> I downloaded the archive at:

Ubuntu 14.04 ("Trusty") / 14.10 ("Utopic") / 15.04 ("Vivid") i386 | AMD64 (The i386 link)

I guess I need a lot of help to get VirtualBox version 5.2 installed and running.

Thank you for your patience.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The <full package name> is just that. Look at the name of the package including the .deb extension and type the complete name and remember Linux is case sensitive.

Example: for the i386 version for trusty

sudo dpkg -i  virtualbox-5.2_5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty_i386.deb 
wfstanley

Post by wfstanley »

Sorry for being such a pest.
I tried the exact command that you gave but it didn't work. The command I was given had an option -i which was not accepted. when I tried eliminating the - I got the gollowing output.
sudo dpkg i virtualbox-5.2_5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty_i386.deb 
dpkg: error: need an action option

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks for all the help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You should definitely include the "-i" command switch. Or the "--install" one, they're the same. That's the install action. If you type "dpkg --help" you will see the proper command syntax, switches and arguments. So, please try again with the command that Perryg gave you (assuming that you are in the directory where the .deb file is located):
  • sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-5.2_5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty_i386.deb
or you can right-click on the .deb file and select "Open with Software Install".
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

or you can right-click on the .deb file and select "Open with Software Install"
Be really careful if you use this. Ubuntu software center will try to trick you into installing their version instead and is why I suggested you use the terminal and dpkg.
wfstanley

Post by wfstanley »

I finally was able to get virtulaboc 5.2 installed. I have not yet tried to run it.

Two points you might be interested in.

For some reason the dpkg -i option didn’t work. I was able to get it working using --install instead
sudo dpkg --install virtualbox-5.2_5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty_i386.deb
The right clicking on the .deb file opened the Archive Manager and the "Software Installer" was not to be found in the "Open With" list. This might be due to the MATE desktop hiding that command. Another possibility is that "Software Installer" is unique to the Ubuntu OS (I think that this is the most likely answer).

Now as for the installed virtual box 5.2 software... It shows up on the menu but I did get some error messages when I installed it. The following is the output from dpkg...

sudo dpkg --install virtualbox-5.2_5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package virtualbox-5.2.
(Reading database ... 223335 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack virtualbox-5.2_5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty_i386.deb ...
Unpacking virtualbox-5.2 (5.2.2-119230~Ubuntu~trusty) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualbox-5.2:
 virtualbox-5.2 depends on libdevmapper1.02.1 (>= 2:1.02.20).
 virtualbox-5.2 depends on psmisc.

dpkg: error processing package virtualbox-5.2 (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.2-0ubuntu3) ...
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 virtualbox-5.2
I can see that there are some configuration problems. What can I do to fix these errors?

Thank you, I am making progress but the install process appears to be incomplete.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Dec 2017, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

As I pointed out earlier when this happens you run the following from the terminal.

sudo apt-get install -f