Hostonly Adapter MIA after windows 10 updates

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LeighK

Hostonly Adapter MIA after windows 10 updates

Post by LeighK »

Hi,

Some time in the last 2 weeks windows updates have killed my hostonly adapter (and thus a lot of Vagrant related VMs).

I did a clean install and the adapter doesn't get created at all. Trying to create one manually through either the gui or command line fails. Here is the results from the command line:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage hostonlyif create
0%...
Progress state: E_FAIL
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Querying NetCfgInstanceId failed (0x00000002)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleCreate(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.64]

I have included the windows version in case it is relevant. The issue originally occured with 5.1.30 but I reinstalled the latest available today and there is no difference.

This is happening to quite a few people in out company. We were moving away from VMWare, but if we can't resolve this we will have to go back.

Any help is appreciated !

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hostonly Adapter MIA after windows 10 updates

Post by socratis »

After a major Win10 upgrade (note: it's an upgrade, not an update) you have to re-install VirtualBox. Unfortunately MS decided that the best course of action is not to update an existing installation, but to make a new installation followed by a migration of the old OS. Some things do not go as planned during that operation, VirtualBox being one of them. You'll have to repeat that process again in 6 months, in the next upgrade cycle...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LeighK

Post by LeighK »

I did a completely clean install of VB 5.20. I tried this twice...

No luck
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Do you use any antivirus or system protection software?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LeighK

Post by LeighK »

Just Windows Defender.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Take a look at Ch. "12.7.6 Host-only networking adapters cannot be created" from the User Manual, it may solve your problem.
LeighK

Post by LeighK »

This refers to a cache that does not seem to be present in windows 10. If there is a cache to clear, it is not in that location. Googling it suggests it doesn't have one anymore.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please read a similar thread, "Windows Update deleted the HOST-ONLY network". For a moment I confused the two and I was thinking "But I already replied to this one, didn't I?" ;)

What I found, just like you, is that the manual seems to be not up-to-date with the Windows installations, there is no cache. But, if you see from my answer to the other thread, there are now the ".pnf" files, pre-compiled setup information files. You could delete those and see if it makes a difference.

And please do not forget to complain to Microsoft for botching your installation after an update!
LeighK

Post by LeighK »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't help.

The most relevant thing I can see in the driver logs now is this:

Code: Select all

>>>  [Device Install (UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices) - sun_VBoxNetAdp]
>>>  Section start 2017/12/06 09:36:09.491
      09:36:09.491 cmd: c:\Windows\System32\MsiExec.exe -Embedding DCA59CF0A8A9CAC89BB160E03E8235D7 E Global\MSI0000
     ndv: 09:36:09.492 INF path: c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netadp6\VBoxNetAdp6.inf
     ndv: 09:36:09.493 Install flags: 0x00000001
!    ndv: 09:36:09.520 Unable to find any matching devices.
<<<  Section end 2017/12/06 09:36:09.522
<<<  [Exit status: FAILURE(0xe000020b)]
While I am not disagreeing with you that Microsoft holds some responsibility, VMWare has survived the upgrade fine. So Oracle needs to take some ownership of product testing and not leave it to others.