Visual defect and GUI crash (#17351)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ncj

Visual defect and GUI crash (#17351)

Post by ncj »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17351: Virtual box GUI bad access crash on NAT network settings edit]
I have visual defects in the main VB GUI, and I am able to get the GUI to crash on a consistent basis, based on the presence of those visual defects.

A sample
S1.png
S1.png (127.91 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
And
S2.png
S2.png (109.16 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
The pattern seems to be (there may be others) related to the new "Global Tools" option from the main GUI. Once either or both of the "Virtual Media Manager" or the "Host Network Manager" have been enabled from either the selection or the drop down. Go to Preferences > Network > Add or selection a Nat Network > Edit > crashes.

If there are no "Global Tools" open in the main GUI (provided it was started like that), then it does not crash. Opening those tools from the File menu also does not appear to cause the crash.

Host macOS 10.13.1
Guest does not seem to be relevant, crashes with or without a guest
VB 5.2.2

Things I've attempted to resolve the issue, but have not worked;
1. Uninstall (using the uninstall tool) > Restart OS > Install
2. Delete the "Virtualbox.xml"
3. Remove all the VMs
 Edit: An issue has been filed for this as ticket 17351 
Attachments
CrashReports.zip
(41.6 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Last edited by socratis on 7. Dec 2017, 04:08, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Visual defect and GUI crash

Post by socratis »

ncj wrote:I have visual defects in the main VB GUI, and I am able to get the GUI to crash on a consistent basis, based on the presence of those visual defects.
I really doubt that the cosmetic issue is related to your crash. Two completely unrelated issues. As I mentioned in the "Discuss the 5.2.2 release" thread, I'm also seeing these problems. Just to clear this one from the table, the developers are aware of the cosmetic issue, but it's not their top priority, since it's only a cosmetic issue with a known workaround; switch to another app then back to VirtualBox, or simply hover over the toolbar with the mouse.
ncj wrote:Go to Preferences > Network > Add or selection a Nat Network > Edit > crashes.
I couldn't reproduce the problem with the steps that you gave, maybe I misunderstood them. Here's what I did:
  • Open VirtualBox.
  • Click on the drop-down "Global Tools" icon. Selected "Virtual Media Manager".
  • Click again on the drop-down "Global Tools" icon. Selected "Host Network Manager". Now I have both managers showing.
  • Go to the VirtualBox Preferences » Network » click on the existing NATnetwork » Edit.
  • No problem.
PS: For the pictures, it's best if you shrink them by at least 50%, or change the resolution to 72 dpi from 144 dpi (because you're on HiDPI) and then include them inline, instead of zipping them and attaching the ZIP file. It's more convenient...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ncj

Post by ncj »

Following on the post you linked to and the one for 10.12.6 ("Graphical glitch VB 5.2 Mac OS X 10.12.6"), from my experience, the issue hints at an "undefined behaviour" kind of bug in the code somewhere. The bug may be present in an unrelated piece of code, and once some form of corruption has happened, it is often just a waiting game for when it fails or some other identifiable error occurs. I post the information together because having dealt with issues like this before, having more data is often very useful, so long as it can be reliably reproduced even if only for that specific target. I'm swamped at the moment, otherwise I'd love to dig into the code here and try figure it out as well.

Given that and the stack trace in the crash logs, and the consistency I have of the appearance of visual defects prior to the crash; I've reported them together. I'm not bugged by the cosmetics as such, I report that because that is the only visual clue I have before the crash occurs, and the consistency of that crash on my mix of platform and OS.
socratis wrote:I couldn't reproduce the problem with the steps that you gave
You mentioned in the other post your host OS is 10.11.6, and this could be the reason why you don't see the exact same behaviour as I see. It may also explain why the visual defects appear in a different location to mine. I basically only get the visual defects if the "Global Tools" managers are showing. If they are not showing, then I have yet to see any other defects.

PS. on the images, no problem, I'll edit the OP for that as well.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, thank you for updating the post with the images inline, much appreciated.

I'm still not sure that the graphics glitches have anything to do with your crash. You're right that it appears from the crash report that it has something to do with the Qt widgets, however I haven't seen any other reports about that behavior, and I can't reproduce it on my 10.11.6 system or on a 10.13 VM, still haven't tried a 10.12.x system. So, something must be out of the ordinary with your setup. Do you have the Qt Toolkit installed by any chance? Any other developer tools? Macports or Homebrew?

If this is something reproducible, you should head to the bug tracker and open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ncj

Post by ncj »

socratis wrote:So, something must be out of the ordinary with your setup. Do you have the Qt Toolkit installed by any chance? Any other developer tools? Macports or Homebrew?
No. Nothing unusual, unless VSCode counts.

I'll package up a report and file it. I've just tried the latest test build (5.2.3-119405) with the same result.

Reverting back to 5.2.2 caused a few new graphic glitches and VirtualBoxVM processes crashes, but I can't reliably reproduce those. A complete uninstall (and deleting the Preferences/VirtualBox folder) seemed to have helped. I'll add those crash logs here for reference.
Attachments
VirtualBoxVMCrash.zip
(73.7 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm trying to think if the glitches are simply coincidental and that the real issue might be the NAT configuration dialog. That's the only place that you noticed the crash, right? In any event, if you open a ticket, please either reference this discussion in the ticket, or update the discussion with the ticket information so we can have a discussion/ticket relationship.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Visual defect and GUI crash (#17351)

Post by socratis »

Added ticket related information. Thank you @ncj.
NikolayMatrosov

Re: Visual defect and GUI crash (#17351)

Post by NikolayMatrosov »

When I deleted all content of

Code: Select all

~/Library/VirtualBox
everything worked fine again.