Kali Linux Storage problem

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
PerfectStorm

Kali Linux Storage problem

Post by PerfectStorm »

It has been a while since I installed Linux VM on virtualbox. I have chosen both Dynamically allocated, and fixed hard disk options. Both of which result in seemingly normal process and length it takes to create the drive. But inside the VM the machine does not recognize the 19gb size (or anything even remotely close to it).

What am I doing wrong?

Windows 10 Host
storage kali.PNG
storage kali.PNG (23.67 KiB) Viewed 4963 times

(scroll >)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kali Linux Storage problem

Post by socratis »

You're forgetting the swap partition (for sure). Plus, there are tools in the guest to check the whole hard drive, not what you see as available in the userland partition.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PerfectStorm

Post by PerfectStorm »

I did choose "Partitioned" during installation setup. I will try to repeat this process again.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

PerfectStorm wrote:I did choose "Partitioned" during installation setup. I will try to repeat this process again.
That actually doesn't mean anything. Regardless of the guest OS there's always at least one partition on a PC hard disk. The only thing the installer will ask you is how big to make it - and the default should be fine.
PerfectStorm

Post by PerfectStorm »

Can you please help me do what I must to solve this?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Help you how? You don't seem to have a problem, just a misunderstanding of how partitions work, and I thought we had just cleared that up. If you mean that you made your disk too small then see the FAQ: How to resize a Virtual Drive.

First however I'd look for a guest tool which lists all of the partitions on the drive, with some information about each one (purpose, filesystem, current fill factor). I can't make out what the number you've indicated (at the top right of your screenshot) is supposed to be. Without knowing what partition (if any) it relates to it really doesn't mean much. All I can tell you is that it seems to relate to a 1000MB partition you must have created somewhere in the guest OS. Perhaps some kind of hidden system or tools folder tree - I don't know Kali.

Speaking of which, a topic which mentions "Kali Linux" in the subject line IMHO doesn't belong in the "Using VirtualBox" forum. Moving the topic to "Linux Guests".
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Open a terminal in kali and type the following:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l

Then 

df -h
Post the results
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

And the nasty thought occurs... You have actually installed Kali Linux, right? You aren't perhaps still running from a live CD, and the mysterious 900MB drive is actually a ramdisk?
PerfectStorm

Post by PerfectStorm »

Perryg wrote:Open a terminal in kali and type the following:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l

Then 

df -h
Post the results
see attached
Attachments
ea2.PNG
ea2.PNG (39.29 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Looks like a live cd. Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )