Windows-Packages for 5.2.x: ProductId in MSI is not ProductId on installed system (#17344)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
WRatzka
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: quite some

Windows-Packages for 5.2.x: ProductId in MSI is not ProductId on installed system (#17344)

Post by WRatzka »

[ModEdit; related ticket #17344: VirtualBox 5.2.x installer: ProductID in MSI File and ProductID on installed system do not match]
Hi,
I am installing VirtualBox on Windows Clients automatically via a Client Management System and noticed, that starting with 5.2.0 the ProductId seen on an system where VirtualBox is installed, differs from the ProductId as stored in the MSI package.
Of course I can script my way around that. However, I wonder where that comes from...
Kind regards
Wolfgang Ratzka
kid-furious

Re: Windows-Packages for 5.2.x: ProductId in MSI is not ProductId on installed system

Post by kid-furious »

Hi,
Same problem here.
I'm also using a software deployment system and noticed that msi product code and uninstall code mismatch.
Since 5.2 version, msi building have a problem.

Example for x64 version (x86 has the same problem) :
VirtualBox-5.2.2-r119230-MultiArch_amd64.msi returns {9F5D10F9-A372-4B1E-BEB3-001B47E0C325}
If you look registry entry for windows installer inscription and uninstall key, this entry is {BB89B827-171F-47B2-938B-6594AABC9E5C}

Like all others windows installer files (msi), the product code and registry entries is always the same...
I'm also wondering what is the problem...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows-Packages for 5.2.x: ProductId in MSI is not ProductId on installed system

Post by socratis »

Has it been the same for all previous versions? Or was it changing with every version/major release?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kid-furious

Post by kid-furious »

I've just noticed this problem starting with 5.2.0
No problems with 5.1.x
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That wasn't actually the question. The question was whether this UUID changes every time or it changed only in 5.2.x.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kid-furious

Post by kid-furious »

Ok.
This product code change each time there is a new msi build coming with a new virtualbox version.

Example :
Virtualbox x64 5.1.22 -> {8D5E4D4D-5E0C-4448-B018-5DDEF1E208D9}
Virtualbox x64 5.1.28 -> {11A88BD5-F059-4743-81D9-1432AC9C3D4E}
Virtualbox x64 5.2.2 -> {9F5D10F9-A372-4B1E-BEB3-001B47E0C325}

This is the normal way like all softwares provided with an msi installer.

The strange and unusual thing, since 5.2.0 virtualbox version, is that you can't retreive this product code in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall) after installation. But, instead you can find an other one.
MSI Installation file works well but it doesn't respect Windows Installer MSI rules.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I talked to the developers, and they assured me that this area of the installer has not changed at all in the 5.2.x series. VirtualBox code is open source, so you could verify it for yourselves. And yes, the ProductID changes with each major/minor version.

VirtualBox uses the widespread WiX utility for its installers. This is not a widespread issue with VirtualBox, so I suspect that there is something specific with your setup that messes things. Don't ask me what that "something" could be. This is Windows we're talking about... ;)
kid-furious

Post by kid-furious »

Thanks for your answer.
Like I said earlier msi installer does the job, but, since 5.2.0, product code and productId does not match.
Yes, I anderstand that it's not a Virtualbox issue. It's a building problem with Virtualbox msi installer.
No, I don't ask anything, I just point the fact , like the original poster of this thread, that something has changed with Windows Virtualbox installers. and msi packages files provided are not build correctly since 5.2.0 Virtualbox version.
To be honest, this is not doing you a favor not to tell you that making msi packages does not work like thousands of packages already made by other publishers around the world (4.x and 5.1 Virtualbox versions were well packaged). Now, you know...
WRatzka

Post by WRatzka »

This is not a widespread issue with VirtualBox, so I suspect that there is something specific with your setup that messes things.
I see the effect on Windows 10 and on Windows 7 (both 64bit) and even when using the original installer instead of our customized installation script.
So there is little reason to believe that some local issue is at the bottom of this.
In fact only those users who distribute VirtualBox via a centralized client management tools, will notice this issue, as the common procedure
  1. extract ProductID from MSI
  2. install MSI
  3. check wether product with extracted ProductID is installed
will fail.

BTW: My workaround is to check for the Upgrade Code that stays the same between package versions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@WRatzka
I talked to the developers about this and they assured me that the code hasn't been touched in that area. But if you feel this to be an issue that needs to be addressed, you should head to the bug tracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.
WRatzka

Post by WRatzka »

socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Windows-Packages for 5.2.x: ProductId in MSI is not ProductId on installed system (#17344)

Post by socratis »

Thank you for this, I've added the ticket info in the first post and in the title.

PS. Nicely formatted ticket!
kid-furious

Re: Windows-Packages for 5.2.x: ProductId in MSI is not ProductId on installed system (#17344)

Post by kid-furious »

5.2.4 has the same problem with the use of deployment tool. I'm Using SCCM to deploy x64 version on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10
1) Extracting productcode from msi file -> {33042B56-E453-40AB-B313-0EB544FAC0F9}
SCCM use this productcode to detect VirtualBox 5.2.4 x64 is installed or not
2) Installing VirtualBox 5.2.4 x64
3) VirtualBox is well installed but SCCM detection failed. After installation, in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall), product code is {E9C99B4C-4383-4290-B94B-901059A524D7}
Conclusion :It's not the awaited ProductCode, there is definitly a problem with wix script while building msi installer.
Gerhard G.

Post by Gerhard G. »

Looking into the 5.2.4 MSI with 7-Zip, one will notice that it contains embedded transforms named de_DE.mst, fr_FR.mst, it_IT.mst, zh_CN.mst and zh_TW.mst. Those were not present in 5.1.x MSI packages.
The post-installation ProductCode {E9C99B4C-4383-4290-B94B-901059A524D7} reported by kid-furious is contained in the fr_FR transform, so I would guess that the host system is a French installation of Windows (or the installer asked for a language and French was chosen - I'm still on 5.1.30 and have never run a 5.2.x installer myself).
This looks to me like an intentional new feature and not like an accidental MSI build error. Of course, the problem will not occur with an English (US) installation, since that won't involve a transformation.
pnrthomp

Post by pnrthomp »

I have tried installing the .MSI for 5.2.10 via GPO.

I can run it manually via the GUI, but when it tries to install from the policy it fails. It's the same error for me, under Windows x64 10/7/etc., error 1605.