auto-resize guest display greyed out

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tcaton

auto-resize guest display greyed out

Post by tcaton »

I recently upgraded virtualbox to Version 5.1.26 r117224 (Qt5.6.2) and also ran yum update on my Redhat 7 virtual OS.

After doing this my virtual display no longer auto resizes (greyed out).

I remounted Virtual Box Guest Additions and reinstalled - no obvious errors.

Rebooted but still cant change display size.

Display type shows as unknown in Redhat system tools but without some form of error message I'm stumped.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: auto-resize guest display greyed out

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts".
Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kmfountain

Post by kmfountain »

I have 5.2 and the same issue with Centos 7.
However, the resize is not greyed out with Centos 6.9
AMcKeown
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Remnux, Kali

Post by AMcKeown »

I had this issue, can't control the screen size. Just upgraded from VB 5.1.28 to 5.2.2 hoping it might help, but still the same problem.

I'm using Win10 host with 16Gb ram, with a Remnux/Ubuntu64 guest on 2048mb Ram (+32mb vid), with Guest Additions installed. Everything is updated within an inch of its life, but still the auto-resize is greyed out.
I've tried None, Hint & Auto in the selection, but it just stays as a small window, which is useless for working in or screenshotting.

Any help at all would be much appreciated, not getting much useful work done this way!
Attachments
log.zip
(45.73 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You have not installed the Guest Additions, you simply inserted the CD. You still have to install them, inserting the CD does zilch on its own. See Ch. 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux of the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fermi2

Post by Fermi2 »

I am having a variation on the same problem. I have installed VirtualBox 5.1.27 with CentOS 7 as guest on both Win 10 and Win 7
hosts. In each case, VBoxGuestAdditions 5.2.1 has been installed. I am aware that the GuestAdditions version number is higher than the VB version number. In the Win 10 case, the installation went well and the active guest display expanded to fill
the screen and the seamless mode and auto-resize Guest Display were not grayed out. In the Win 7 case, the screen, the
display did not fill the screen and the two options mentioned in the prior sentence were grayed out. The display is much
too small. In both cases, GuestAdditions was installed, not just mounted. yum install was used in both cases as directed in
the instructions. uname -r showed the kernel to be 3.18.8-693.5.2.el7.x86_64 and is identical to installed version
of kernel-headers and kernel-devel. For Win 7 host, the same problem occurs with CentOS7 as guest with VirtualBox 5.2.2
and GuestAdditions 5.2.2. What can I do to remedy the Win 7 situation? Attached is the vboxadd-install.log.
Attachments
vboxadd-setup.log.4.gz
(7.01 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thread title: auto-resize guest display greyed out
Fermi2 wrote:I am having a variation on the same problem.
Fermi2 wrote:and auto-resize Guest Display were not grayed out.
No you do *not* have the same problem. Please do not hijack other people's threads. It's really easy to open your own. So please open a new thread with an appropriate title.