Can't install 64bit Windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Gremlin

Can't install 64bit Windows

Post by Gremlin »

Hi All

I have VirtualBox v5.1.30 running on OSX 10.13.1, I also have a Windows8.1 install DVD (ISO file) that contains both 32bit and 64bit versions.

I have created, from the Windows8.1 64bit template, a virtual machine, but the Windows install ends up being 32bit, with no prompt nor ability to select 64bit. Within the Windows guest, it says it is running 32bit on a 64bit CPU.

In virtualBox setting for the VM, Acceleration is showing as VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, Hyper-V, Paravirtualisation.

How can I get it ti install the 64bit version of Windows?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't install 64bit Windows

Post by socratis »

1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

Hi

This isn't an error, I can start, operate and shutdown the Windows VM without error; multiple times.

The problem is that I can't *install* a 64bit version. No option to select 64bit, 32bit installed every time I try, even when selecting 64bit as the vbox template.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

Which provides valuable tips...for Windows hosts...on a Mac, we can't get to any of those "BIOS" settings... :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please re-read my advice and post the two files that I asked for...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

Files
Attachments
Archive.zip
(30.29 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

socratis wrote:Please re-read my advice and post the two files that I asked for...
Files posted one week ago... :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sorry, I wasn't around lately. I took a look at your settings and setup and there's nothing to justify such a behavior, except the Win8 installer. I really don't know what they're looking for under the hood to enable or not the 64-bit. And I believe that's the key here, not VirtualBox. I bet that if you got your hands on a Win8-64 only installer, it would work just fine with your current settings.
Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

Thanks for looking..I suppose I will have to locate a 64bit only installer, both Win8.1 and Win10 media I have contain both...
phil mac

Post by phil mac »

Not quite the same problem as mine, but VM 5,22 loaded beautifully for me on High Sierra
BUT
Whether or not I missed the option to install my guestOS on the first run wizard, I now have a blank machine with no OS
Tried setting up a second install, definitely no option to load the guest iso

So no I have two windows machines with no OS
Win 8.1 and Win 10 home/Pro 64bit

BTW I am unfamiliar with Windows. Is there only one Win 10 version which works on Vbox... how would I tell?

Is there now another way to load up my empty machines??? What did I miss...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

phil mac wrote:Not quite the same problem as mine
Actually not at all... ;)
phil mac wrote:I missed the option to install my guestOS on the first run wizard, I now have a blank machine with no OS
phil mac wrote: What did I miss...
VirtualBox does not come with any operating system, such as your Win8.1 and Win10 that you thought you created. You have to buy them from Microsoft or e-Bay. Then at the first time wizard what you do is to provide the ISO of that operating system, or the physical CD.

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Oh, and please do not hijack other people's threads, it's easy enough to create a new one... ;)
phil mac

Post by phil mac »

Yes I am off topic, sorry. You sound like the shop assistant in Maplin who moaned how he struggled to make it simple enough for me to understand because i called a transmitting powerline adapter "the sender".

I was just trying to be brief while I butted in on your private conversation, so allow me to simplify what I said in smaller steps.
I installed my Windows 8.1 in the two previous versions of VB
I now upgraded Sierra to High Sierra, updated VB to 5.2.2

Surprised to see such a dramatic improvement. So many setup problems with the earlier versions, from screensize to internet and usb settings (my words, but you know what I mean). This latest version is fantastic. But..

I can't install 64bit Windows

I have both 8.1 and 10 as iso files, just like before. But they wont load because I do not know how to. I have read about 150 of the 377 pages in the User Manual

The wizard did not load it. Now VB is running, I tried loading the OS a second time. The wizard did not load it, and I don't know how to install 64bit windows 8.1 nor 64bit windows10

Perhaps I should start another thread on this topic?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Oh, and please do not hijack other people's threads, it's easy enough to create a new one... ;)
phil mac wrote:Perhaps I should start another thread on this topic?
Yes.
phil mac

Post by phil mac »

I am not skilled in programming, nor a gamer, not my interest, I just wanted to run a programme on windows without buying the hardware and thought that all the hard work of you fine fellas who built this open source project might also be interested in retired old farts like myself actually using it on a retirement project.

My mistake, sorry to bother you

Willi

Just passin thru, bro