A question about "Snapshot".

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
hack3rcon

A question about "Snapshot".

Post by hack3rcon »

Hello.
I have a question about "Snapshot". I installed a trial program and take a snapshot from my Windows OS. After trial program expired, I restored my Snapshot but program still expired, Why?
Any idea?

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: A question about "Snapshot".

Post by mpack »

You must direct that question to the owners of the trial software, since only they have the info needed to answer it. Obviously this is a deliberate anti theft measure, so they have my congratulations on a crafty feature well implemented. I have no idea how they've done it, unless the software has network access.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

My Windows machine network is disabled. In your opinion if I asked them then they said me "Hey, You can bypass our protection via this trick"!!! If "Snapshot" restore all parts of my system then how the program understand it is expired?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Time based software is just that and not even a snapshot will stop the clock. As mpack stated you need to ask them as this is not within the scope of this forum and we can not be seen helping you to defeat their license restrictions.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

Snapshot can't restore the clock!!!! Excuse me, When I take a snapshot from an OS and then restore it, Is it mean my system back to the time that OS installed? For example, I installed Windows OS three months ago and created a Snapshot from it, When I restore the Snapshot then my Windows OS backed to three month ago, Is it correct?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Nope. The software you installed is the same at that point in time but the clock will advance to the new time and invalidate the install. Look either ask the supplier or purchase the software. There is nothing we can do to help with this.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

Can you tell me which components restored in Snapshot?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

No.

Creating a snapshot saves the base by freezing it as it was at the time you took the snapshot. Then the snapshot will base itself off the original and move forward from there by using a differencing disk ( image).

What's the fix? See my previous answer.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

Thank you, But I want to know which parts restored. For example, Registry or...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The entire contents of disk are restored. If the snapshot was created "live" then RAM is restored too. Otherwise the VM boots from scratch and RAM contents are recreated. None of this prevents the guest OS from recognizing that time has passed, it will behave exactly the same as a PC that was shut down or hiberated some time ago.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

hack3rcon wrote:But I want to know which parts restored. For example, Registry or...
When a virtual disk is first created for a new virtual machine, it is considered as the base disk for the guest - data for the guest is read from and written to that disk image.

The differencing disk records changes sector-by-sector to the whole disk image, not changes to any file in any partition of the disk image. VirtualBox does not know what file system is employed on the disk image and therefore can not access any individual file of/on the disk image; only the guest OS is aware of the partitioning scheme and file system of the disk image.

First SnapShot creates a differencing disk for read/write access while the base disk becomes read-only - as the guest modifies its data, the data is written to the differencing disk and the base disk is untouched.

Second SnapShot creates another, new, differencing disk for read/write access while the first differencing disk becomes read-only along with the base disk.

Subsequent SnapShots create additional differencing disks, with the preceding differencing disk joining the hierarchy (chain/pecking order) of read-only disks.

Keep in mind that access to/from the virtual disks is sector-by-sector, not file-by-file.

When the guest requests that a sector be read, the latest SnapShot is read first. If the sector is not found there (Sector-Not-Found is returned), the next SnapShot in the chain (youngest to oldest) is read, until the base virtual disk is reached. Then the sector on/in the base virtual disk is either read or Sector-Not-Found is returned.
Last edited by ChipMcK on 3. Dec 2017, 02:52, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Just a warning: often when we discuss "snapshots" on this site, people are asking about the VDI file structure - usually following some kind of data loss. In this case however "Snapshot" refers to the GUI feature, of which the VDI layout is just one aspect.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I think you guys are getting too technical. The OP just wants to cheat the software by "reverting" to a previous snapshot, thinking that the 30-day limit will not apply anymore. Right...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

mpack wrote:The entire contents of disk are restored. If the snapshot was created "live" then RAM is restored too. Otherwise the VM boots from scratch and RAM contents are recreated. None of this prevents the guest OS from recognizing that time has passed, it will behave exactly the same as a PC that was shut down or hiberated some time ago.
Why my software not worked after Snapshot?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That seems to be identical to the question you asked in your first post. I refer you to the first answer you received.