[WorksForMe] unable to boot ubuntu server 17.10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: unable to boot ubuntu server 17.10

Post by Perryg »

I see you also have solaris and centos installed are they also servers or are they desktop units and do they work properly?
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

Hi

centOs is a desktop and works fine, and solaris is also a desktop and also works fine
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

That puts us right back to where I have been all along. At this point it looks like a failed install. All indications from VirtualBox show a working guest making it at least 80% that the guest is where they issue is. Have you tried to delete this install and start over using all default settings and does/did it install without error messages up to and including the reboot?
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

Hi

I think the installation went to finish successfully, although there was one step, that I was not sure what to select when offer to install the Grub boot loader to the master boot record, so I was not sure, and I selected NO.
Not sure if I did the right thing? Then went to reboot the server after completion.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

That's your problem. You need the grub boot loader installed to be able to boot. Install again and select yes or repair the bootloader ( lots harder but doable )
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

spot on, thank you very much, I have just finish reinstalling, accept the offer to install grub loader, them reboot, I am logged in.
Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nandinho

Re: [WorksForMe] unable to boot ubuntu server 17.10

Post by Nandinho »

Noted.