[Solved] SafeNet eToken 5110 in Win7 guest on Linux host with VBox 5?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
lebedov

[Solved] SafeNet eToken 5110 in Win7 guest on Linux host with VBox 5?

Post by lebedov »

I'm trying to access a USB SafeNet eToken 5110 (aka Magnum Alladin eToken) from Windows 7 Enterprise Edition installed as a guest using VirtualBox 5.0.40 r115130 (with guest additions from the same version installed in the guest OS) on Ubuntu 16.04.03 (64 bit). Although I can access the token directly from Linux (e.g., with pcsc_scan or with the SafeNet Authentication Client) when I plug it in, the token doesn't show up when I try to create a filter in the VM's USB settings with the OHCI controller enabled. Any thoughts as to how to make the token accessible to the guest in this scenario?
Last edited by socratis on 28. Nov 2017, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: SafeNet eToken 5110 in Win7 guest on Linux host with VBox 5?

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lebedov

Post by lebedov »

Evidently the USB 3.0 drivers had not been installed in my Windows VM by whomever set it up (i.e., not me). After installing them and switching to xhci_hcd, I was able to access the token.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
And don't blame whoever setup the VM. USB3 came after Windows 7, so the latter doesn't even know what the former means without special care... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.