[Fixed] Soundblaster 16 Mixer not working in VirtualBox 5.2

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mipri

[Fixed] Soundblaster 16 Mixer not working in VirtualBox 5.2

Post by mipri »

Hello,

I am using the Soundblaster 16 emulation in several Windows NT and OS/2 Warp VMs.

Since updating to Virtualbox 5.2 (and Guest Additions 5.2.1), the mixer does not work any more in these VMs and sounds are always played at maximum volume.

In Windows NT, the sliders in the system mixer are visible and can be moved, but they have no effect on the volume. The "No sound" checkbox also does not work, sound is played even if it is checked.

In OS/2 it's almost the same. In the configuration notebook for the system sounds the volume control can be turned, but does not change the volume. An additional problem here is that the sounds are not played completely, some part at the end is cut.

The mixers did work with Virtualbox 5.1.28, and on the same host they are working with AC97 sound in a Windows XP VM in Virtualbox 5.2.

The host is running Windows 7 with Realtek HD Audio ALC887.

Attached is the log from a Windows NT VM.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(24.6 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
mipri

Re: Soundblaster 16 Mixer not working in VirtualBox 5.2

Post by mipri »

Hello,

after updating VirtualBox and Guest Additions to version 5.2.2 the problems with Soundblaster Mixer persist without a change.

There was not a single reply to my initial report. Do I have to provide some additional information, or is there anything else I can do in order to have this bug resolved?

Michael
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mipri wrote:or is there anything else I can do in order to have this bug resolved?
I suggest raising a ticket on BugTracker. There isn't much we fellow users can say about your problem otherwise.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@mipri
If nothing else, I can confirm the problem on my VMs as well. Host: OSX 10.11.6.
And BTW, I'm moving this to "Windows Guests" from "Windows Hosts", for obvious reasons ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Thanks for the report; I already reproduced the issue and working on a fix.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation

Post by pentagonik »

Should be fixed with the latest 5.2 test builds which can be found here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

Please let me know if these fix the issue for you. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Host: OSX 10.11.6
Guests: Win98, WinNT4.
The volume seems to be fixed. It does make a cracking sound at the first couple hundred of ms, but it's OK. For the moment ;)

Thanks pentagonik, that was quick!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation

Post by pentagonik »

Thanks for verifying! The fix will be available in the next upcoming maintenance version.
mipri

Post by mipri »

Hello,

I've tried the latest test build and found the main problem solved: mixer is now working with both Win NT and OS/2. Thank you very much for this.

However, the second problem I've reported still persists: in OS/2 the playback of WAV files ends prematurely. If the sound is long enough (like DSK_WARN.WAV), the end is cut. Shorter sounds like DOORCLS.WAV do not play at all since playback stops before it has started.

Should I open a new thread for this in the "Other Guests" forum`?

Michael
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mipri wrote:Should I open a new thread for this in the "Other Guests" forum`?
My vote would be on the "Yes" side, because what you're describing doesn't come even close with the title (and the essence) of this thread...
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation

Post by pentagonik »

Please create a public defect for this instead of a new thread in the forums, unless this is a clear 5.2 regression.