[Solved] Ipv6: No ICMPv6 in guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Poul

[Solved] Ipv6: No ICMPv6 in guest

Post by Poul »

Host and guest: Windows 10 home.
Connnecting Network via a bridged adapter to my Wireless card

I have enabled Ipv6 on my guest, it seems to be working, except: There's no ICMP support, which I have read is important in Ipv6.
I have tested it with: http://ipv6-test.com/ It Works fine on the host and I have the same settings for the NIC.

Can anyone give me a clue how to fix it (or is it a bug?).
Last edited by Poul on 26. Nov 2017, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ipv6: No ICMPv6 in guest

Post by socratis »

I don't know if there's a fix or a workaround, but I have a simple question; why is ICMP so important specifically in IPv6?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Poul

Post by Poul »

Hehe, I don't know, I just read what others write, thinking they are smarter then me (often true).

Please check: Simply click the link above from a guest with Ipv6 enabled. Do you get the same result as I do, or is it my settings, that's the problem?
Poul

Post by Poul »

Ok, I found the answer, it was simply a firewall rule:
'Monitoring of virtual machine', should be enabled, now it Works.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Ipv6: No ICMPv6 in guest

Post by socratis »

Great, so that means that it works given the appropriate firewall configuration in the client, which means that the VirtualBox part is working as intended. Thanks for that and for marking it as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.