Discuss the 5.2.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 5.2.2 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 5.2.2 release here.
You can download the release here.
Mainly a regression-fix release for 5.2.0.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss the 5.2.2 release

Post by mpack »

The main page gives October 24th as the release date of 5.2.2, which is a tad confusing. I had to do several double takes!
 Edit:  Ah, fixed now I see.

For others convenience the changelog is here
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Fixed, thank you (and Michal, who pointed it out too).
halfervirt

Post by halfervirt »

I think the hashes are missing for this release. Would someone upload them?

Thanks.

https://www.virtualbox.org/download/has ... SHA256SUMS
https://www.virtualbox.org/download/has ... .2/MD5SUMS
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The problem is that the checksums that ChipMcK gave are over "http" and people that are checking the checksums want them over "https". And in the Downloads page (which is https) the links to the checksums are broken (the links that halfervirt gave). I've had another complaint over the IRC.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
halfervirt

Post by halfervirt »

Alright, thanks both. I've upgraded to 5.2.0 for now, and I'll await the 5.2.2 hashes being available over a secure channel.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

halfervirt wrote:Alright, thanks both. I've upgraded to 5.2.0 for now, and I'll await the 5.2.2 hashes being available over a secure channel.
I'm curious why? The hashes have nothing to do with security, they're about checking whether you have a corrupted download, after you suspect same.

On Windows versions at least, security is provided by digital signatures embedded in the executables, including the installer.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:On Windows versions at least, security is provided by digital signatures embedded in the executables, including the installer.
Same on the OSX side about the installer. But I guess that if the download is not from an "https" source, and the SHA256 (minimum) is not available again from an "https" source, some people are having trouble sleeping at night ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

AFAICS the website shouldn't matter. Even if you got the installer off a guy with a barrow down at the fishmarket, the installer can only pass a digital signature check if the code is untouched since Oracle signed it.
Nickna

Post by Nickna »

mpack wrote:AFAICS the website shouldn't matter. Even if you got the installer off a guy with a barrow down at the fishmarket, the installer can only pass a digital signature check if the code is untouched since Oracle signed it.
You REALLY should know what you're talking about if you've going to dispense security advice to people. In your scenario, you acquire an installer from a stranger at the fishmarket. Now how are you going to verify that it came from Oracle? By trying to open it? Do you see the problem with that?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Sorry about that, hashes uploaded.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Nickna wrote: You REALLY should know what you're talking about if you've going to dispense security advice to people.
I'm speaking as someone who is a developer who digitally signs his own code with a DigiCert EV certificate (requiring a USB key to be present). How about you?
Nickna wrote: In your scenario, you acquire an installer from a stranger at the fishmarket. Now how are you going to verify that it came from Oracle? By trying to open it?
By using the signature verification tools provided by your OS. This is what the signature is there for. This does not require you to run the suspect executable. If the code has been modified then the digest hash check will fail. Only Oracle can provide an Oracle signature which passes.
 Edit:  I see that Michael has fixed the hashes problem, and this discussion is off topic (oops), so we had better stop there. 
RonSMeyer1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Windows 10 - Win XP - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Post by RonSMeyer1 »

No go. Back to 5.1.30. You still can't use 3D acceleration in a Linux guest. :?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@RonSMeyer1
Please don't generalize, not all Linux guests have issues. All of mine are just fine, thank you. If you have a problem with a specific distro/version, please state which one. Don't just throw an "all of them" out there.