[WorksForMe] unable to boot ubuntu server 17.10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Nandinho

[WorksForMe] unable to boot ubuntu server 17.10

Post by Nandinho »

ubuntu-2017-11-23-14-09-15_booting.txt
(62.07 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Hi

I have 32 vit laptop runing windows 7 and with virtuabox version 5.1.16 r, after installing the ubuntu, the guest operating system is not booting, I can see this from virtualbox log viewer. I have attached the log files when booting, and when power off.
Please can you help?
Attachments
ubuntu-2017-11-23-14-09-15_booting.txt
(62.07 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
ubuntu-2017-11-23-14-17-09_poweroff.txt
(93.02 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. Nov 2017, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: unable to boot ubuntu server 17.10

Post by Perryg »

00:00:01.819198 Host RAM: 3240MB (3.1GB) total, 1854MB available
00:00:02.045328 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)
The logs do not show an issue as far as VirtualBox is concerned, except that you are over-committing the RAM on your machine. ( see above )
Try setting it to 1024MB and see if it helps. If not then I would investigate the actual guest for install issues.
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

Hi

Thanks for the reply!

I did reduce the amount of RAM to 1024Mb, but I still have the same issue, ubuntu not booting!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Just to clarify. You stated "after installing the ubuntu, the guest operating system is not booting" indicates that you have actually installed the guest, but it now sounds like you have not and it fails to boot from the CD, is that correct? Have you checked the md5sum of the download to verify it is not corrupt?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

socratis, they already posted the logs above.

I missed this part before:

Code: Select all

00:00:05.369148 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: CDROM boot failure code : 0003
00:00:05.369148 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from CD-ROM failed
because I was lead to believe the OS was already installed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Perryg, there is another detail that I missed as well; there is no CD inserted to boot from. So either they installed it and it didn't work, or they didn't even insert the CD at all and they expect that by simply creating the VM it would boot into Ubuntu. Fact of the matter is that there is no CD and no HD to boot from.

@Nandinho
You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Then clearly describe what you're doing and what you observe. "Does not boot" is not enough...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Very well
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

socratis wrote:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I was not able to start the VM from cold-boot, because the options that I have "Normal Start", "Headless Start" and "Detachable Start"
I have already provided the logs when guest operating system (ubuntu) is powered off, on my 1st post, but please find enlosed the log file.
Attachments
ubuntu-2017-11-23-15-59-03_v1.txt
(91.53 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. What do I have to do for you to ZIP your logs? I put it in bold red underlined. What more should I do?
  2. You haven't told me if you actually installed Ubuntu or not. It looks like you haven't. Did you download an Ubuntu ISO and install it? Or you simply created a new Ubuntu VM and expected Ubuntu to start?
  3. Did you read the 3 chapters from the User Manual that I directed you to?
Please answer ALL the questions.
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

Hi

please find enclosed the zip file.
Yes I downloaded from the ubuntu web site the iso image, them open up virtualbox, create virtual machine, after ram and space, it went on to install ubuntu server on an interactive mode, then after configuring usernames and as to finalize the installation, it rebooted, but the operating system (guest- ubuntu) never came UP.
Yes I did read the topics
Attachments
ubuntu_logs.zip
(52.84 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

Disable 3D in guest config: this is a Virtualbox 5.2.x well known bug with very recent and new Linux distros. And they said they do not have resources to commit a fix to it.
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

3D is not enabled
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

This thread is getting totally confusing with all the extra chatter that does not apply. Servers do not have X by default so 3D will not effect this one way or the other, and the logs show a bootable guest, whether it works or not is still to be determined.

@Nandinho,

The logs show that you are booting from the HDD and that you had installed ubuntu-17.10-server-i386. It also shows as far as VirtualBox is concerned there are no reasons that the guest would not boot.
It also shows that you have enabled PAE which is required for this and you have enough memory to be able to use the guest albeit really low on resources. The log also shows that you shut down the guest after approx. 36 seconds.

Now what exactly are you seeing in the guest? ( Post a screen shot if nothing else )
Also you do realize that a server is command line only ( no desktop ) right?
Nandinho

Post by Nandinho »

@PerryG

thanks for the reply, as soon I start the VM, seems like it hangs as you can see fro the screenshot attached, and never proceeds, it stays there.
Attachments
vb_screenshot.zip
(86.8 KiB) Downloaded 22 times