XP no network/audio after switch to ICH9

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
xen82

XP no network/audio after switch to ICH9

Post by xen82 »

Hi,

Can anyone report success in Windows XP 32-bit while using the ICH9 chipset?

I did not have audio and network.

I am trying to use it for PCI passthrough.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: XP no network/audio after switch to ICH9

Post by socratis »

ICH9 support is experimental. It says so right on the tooltip. Now you know what that means. And no, there is no fix.

Besides that, do you have all it takes to have PCI passthrough? A host with VT-d, a Linux kernel that supports IOMMU and 2 of whatever you need to passthrough? And even with all that, I know of only one person that did it. And finally, even the developers were surprised that it worked... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xen82

Post by xen82 »

No, the card just stopped working.

ICH9 worked fine after I reinstalled from scratch.

You shouldn't assume so much you know.

Many of you seem in the business of trying to prevent people of trying to achieve anything.

I don't kneed two of any device if I don't even load the modules locally, I'm sure.

However a hardware installation of XP didn't see the card working, of XP SP3 32-bit, but that might have been due to using the wrong port, for some reason if I used the right port in Linux it wouldn't work, but the wrong one did; I mean it is a TV card with FM and TV coaxial ports.

Eventually though it stopped working in Linux; maybe I broke the card that way.

This was only after a day so to speak.

Then I first tried ICH9 passthrough which gave errors in VLC, then I tried hardware XP SP3 which didn't give errors but no result.

Then I tried moving the card to a different PCI slot and now it's entirely broken.

I mean now it broke down entirely, neither Windows or Linux still even see the card.

You sure that is the result of ICH9 passthrough? :p.
xen82

Post by xen82 »

Of course I didn't know VT-d was such a specialized thing.

I assumed this was more normal because I had seen articles about KVM passthrough long ago for graphics cards and people doing that.

Besides the attachment did work and the XP guest did see the card at the designated address as given by the attachment and was capable of installing some drivers for it no different from the hardware OS.

If it doesn't work, okay, fine.

I was just trying to get this card working at all.

Wherever, whatever.

But now I broke it.

Probably static, but it's humid and I'm not static.

Or maybe I did something stupid.

That the rest of my system isn't bothered by.

(Like trigger the short-circuit protection of the PSU by accident, oops).