Running a VM on a different user

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
tmnsoon

Running a VM on a different user

Post by tmnsoon »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to run the same VM on different users (Windows host), not at the same time of course.

I already have the VM setup on the first user, and the .vdi is located in a folder which can be accessed by both users.

The way I am thinking is to login as the second user, open Virtualbox, create a new VM, but use the same disk image (.vdi) instead of creating a new disk image.

So would this work to run the same VM on the second user? Or is there a better way? I already tried to run Virtualbox as a different user, then startup the VM, but Virtualbox didn't like that and threw me errors.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running a VM on a different user

Post by socratis »

It is not recommended, but, you could build the same "recipe" around the VDI. Just make sure that both users have read/write permissions for the VDI location.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tmnsoon

Post by tmnsoon »

Ok thanks I will try it. However why is it not recommended?
Last edited by socratis on 22. Nov 2017, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Because it was designed as a single-user application. It still is supposed to be a single-user application.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.