Guest Additions breaks Windows 10 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
onemojofilter

Guest Additions breaks Windows 10 guest

Post by onemojofilter »

Am running Fedora 26.
VirtualBox Version 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.7.1)
I installed VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-118918.iso as recommended on the Virtualbox wiki.

Without Guest Additions Windows 10 installation works fine. With Guest Additions installed it goes into Auto Repair and fails to fix itself.

This is also true if I revert down to Virtualbox 5.1

I should add that nothing apparently fixes this. I've tried running these commands from the DOS prompt in the Windows guest:
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

...to no avail.

Is the only way to avoid this to not use Guest Additions? I am only able to have my Windows guest fill to the current screen resolution with Guest Additions installed. It is a minor inconvenience but would be nice to have this addressed/fixed. Let me know if I've left out any vital info.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Additions breaks Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "Windows Hosts". You actually have a Linux host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Now you can close it because I figured it out. As long as at least 2D acceleration is checked on "Display" it will work without fail. Apparently I've read 3D acceleration also messes with the functionality of a Windows VM but I had neither checked and the box would invariably come up for Auto Repair and then fail.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can start my Win VMs with 2D/3D enabled or disabled. Any combination. So, I'm not sure that this is the solution...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Ok well it was for me.

And you have Fedora 26 and you installed Guest additions as well?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The host doesn't matter for the behavior you're describing. Is this thing repeatable?
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Absolutely. The only thing that prevents it for me is to enable 2D acceleration.
MetaMaster

Post by MetaMaster »

Having this problem with the latest updated version of VirtualBox on my Windows 10 Home virtual machine.

The VM works perfectly until I activate Guest Additions, at which point the taskbar and menus become transparent, and nothing loads correctly and things randomly turn invisible to the point barely anything is usable. This happens for both versions of Guest Additions including amd64 (recommended for my mac) and the normal Guest Additions.exe. I checked for updates, none were available and VirtualBox says I'm on the latest version. I have now performed this operation 3 times, meaning I have now made 3 different virtual machines with this version of Windows that all functioned and installed perfectly until I try activating Guest Additions, at which point after a reboot the VM goes crackers, creating the mentioned glitches.

There is no 2D acceleration option in this version of VirtualBox, 3D acceleration is activated, 12gb RAM are allocated to the virtual machine, 4 cpus are allocated to the machine, 256mb are devoted to the machine's display (max). Using Windows 10 Home straight from Microsoft and VirtualBox straight from VirtualBox.

The machine I'm using is a Mac Mini (2020) with maxed-out specs meaning 64gb ram, 2tb, and the works (excluding 10gb ethernet).

How do I fix Guest Additions?
MetaMaster

Post by MetaMaster »

Solution:

Currently, all Guest Additions programs past version 5 are not working on macOS Catalina when running Windows 10 on VirtualBox.

Download Guest Additions iso version 5.2.44 (most recent version of version 5), rename it VboxGuestAdditions.iso, and replace VboxGuestAdditions.iso which is located in VirtualBox/Contents/MacOS. This will remove the glitchy unusable transparent menus issue.

In my opinion, this flaw is glaring and warrants an immediate and substantial update, as this makes all versions past 5 useless for macOS Catalina users. I only tested 4 of latest stable version 6 builds before coming to this conclusion so it's possible there's an early version of version 6 that works; someone else test if they want to be sure on that matter.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

There is a known problem with current Windows 10 guests which have "transparency effects" turned on.
In many cases this problem disappeared with disabling transparency in the Windows 10 settings.
Nick is not my name

Post by Nick is not my name »

Hi,
I'm having a similar issue. If I don't install guest additions in Win 10 as a guest of a Mac I can use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) with no problem, but when I install guest additions it won't open..This is the error I get...."Your GPU may not be supported or your graphics drivers need to be upgraded. "

I would like to be able to file share which is one of the options that guest additions provide.

Please let me know when this software is updated. I truly appreciate the use and availability of this software.

Thank You!

Nick Is Not My Name