Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Post by michael »

I am trying to reproduce the black screen problem and have so far failed dismally. I would greatly appreciate detailed instructions, starting with installing a fresh guest (and exact details of what was selected or changed from the defaults during installation).
sbradabang

Post by sbradabang »

I don't know if this is related to this bug, but, during installation process, I changed language and timezone and chose to install updates + third party software. Then I followed Perryg's procedure, but to no avail.
Did you disable 3D acceleration in VM's options? With this option disabled the Guest Additions work.
Kerdamor

Post by Kerdamor »

Perryg wrote:Steps I used to get a working version of 17.10 below screen shot.
Ubuntu-17.10_working.png
  • 1) Clean install and ran apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade followed with a reboot.
    2) Rename /lib/modules/4.13.0-16-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox to vbox.old and reboot the guest.
    3) Install my guest additions 5.2.1 r118468 followed with a reboot.
After I verified that this worked properly I did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and the package returned nothing to do. If you find that your install tries to update I would pin, lock, even go so far as to create a script to stop ubuntu from updating these packages. (search for how to stop apt from installing a package if you don't know how).
I then tested a new install and simply installed the guest additions, rebooted and it does not work properly. I found conflicts with the Ubuntu kernel modules and the official ones I installed which prevented some features from working.

Of course you also have the choice of using their guest additions but we you would need them to support you.
after first reboot i have no guest additions installed and crash report, after second reboot same problem as a main topic

VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-118918
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Try disabling 3D acceleration.
Kerdamor

Post by Kerdamor »

same problem, DnD and Clipboard didn't work but window resizable
VBoxClient: VBoxClient (seamless): failed to start. Stage: Setting guest IRQ filter mask  Error: VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR
Last edited by socratis on 16. Dec 2017, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Please provide more information about your guest system, including host machine log, guest system log, /var/log/Xorg*.log, /var/log/*vbox*.log, lsmod.
Kerdamor

Post by Kerdamor »

by helmanfrow » 26. Oct 2017, 13:33 first message in this topic, absolutly same problem
Windows Server 2016 Host Virtual Box 5.2
Guest Ubuntu 17.10 used VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-118918
TheRaptus

Post by TheRaptus »

Same problem, occurs when <i try to add the drive D: (called D_DRIVE) with moun -t xxx
could you give me also the right commend please?
Ubuntu 17:10, latest version and guest pack
revere521

Post by revere521 »

i also have had this issue with ubuntu 17.10 - specifically ubuntu boots to the purple ubuntu lock screen with no login window when 3d acceleration is enabled, using the newest GA from the download page (the one marked nov 3 update)

I renamed the builtin ubuntu modules folder as recommended earlier in this thread; and installed the new ones - and with 3d acceleration enabled i get the the buffer overrun error for opengl (journalctl -xe)

With 3d acceleration turned off, i do not receive the error and i get the login window; and the guest appears to essentially work.

I can post any other logs or etc. that are helpful
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

revere521 wrote:I renamed the builtin ubuntu modules folder as recommended earlier in this thread; and installed the new ones - and with 3d acceleration enabled i get the the buffer overrun error for opengl (journalctl -xe)
Not sure which buffer overrun you are talking about. I am aware of an oops in the fbdev emulation layer which should be fixed in the latest test builds (uploading as I write this, the lin32 and lin64 builds are at r119163). Otherwise please provide more information.
revere521

Post by revere521 »

Michael - sorry - looked back and realized this thread didn't mention the error - i have been reading lots of threads and got mixed up.

However - with 3d Acceleration enabled as mentioned - i don't exactly get a black screen - i get the purple ubuntu background with "ubuntu" at the bottom - but no login window ever loads

when i chnage tty and run the command: journalctl -xe i see the following error spamming:

Code: Select all

Nov 20 18:39:40 VMUbuntu64 org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1368]: OpenGL Warning: vboxCall failed with VBox status code VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW
Booting without 3d Acceleration does not produce the condition or the error message
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

That is what I am currently trying to track down. Hope to be able to provide an update soon.
revere521

Post by revere521 »

Thanks sir, let me know if there is any way i can be helpful.

I can say that Ubuntu MATE does not experience this message using Compiz and LXDE also appears fine. so as the error notes it may just be limited to gnome or gnome3 so far (possibly just with software acceleration as someone else already noted)
Dmajor

Post by Dmajor »

I had a similar issue with desktop login loop and no or black desktop issues. Check out my post if you want to see what I did to fix it. I was running Ubuntu 16.04. 8)
michmerr

Post by michmerr »

Same result here. Tried to install the GA, got the error, installed the gcc, make, and perl packages, installed GA successfully, and now I'm rewarded with a black screen.