Change Resolution under 5.2 in macOS Sierra apparently doesn't work

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
joseluisbz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

Change Resolution under 5.2 in macOS Sierra apparently doesn't work

Post by joseluisbz »

I was testing VirtualBox 5.2 updating from 5.1.28, but the resolution was not working.
I had to return to 5.1.x version..

I was using this command

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "Sierra" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4
But It had no effect over macOS Sierra.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Change Resolution under 5.2 in macOS Sierra apparently doesn't work

Post by socratis »

"Apparently doesn't work" is not the correct ... wording, I could have chosen several different ways to describe your current situation.

The EFI video options have changed. Since you didn't read the related changelog, or the user manual ch. 3.14.1. Video modes in EFI, and since I'm bored of typing the same things twice in a day ( :roll: ), let me point you to OS 10.11.6 Host to OS 10.6.8 display resolution issue where I mini-described the new EFI video options.

The funny thing is that the old tokens are supposed to be supported. I'll do a quick test and report back...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, after some tests, I can confirm that the following does NOT work (although in theory it should be backwards compatible):
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4
The following two options DO work and were working/implemented during the beta (see the related discussion, "[Solved] VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode not honored"):
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiHorizontalResolution 1440
    VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiVerticalResolution 900
Finally, the "official" way since the release of 5.2.0 is:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1440x900
As you can see in the manual, there are way more options available...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joseluisbz
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

Post by joseluisbz »

Thank you...

I can't to say is not working (maybe I had a mistake). Unfortunately I lost the settings when I removed the installation later of the bad presentation.

The good news is solve this problem: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=84010
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

joseluisbz wrote:The good news is solve this problem: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=84010
This topic talks about a method that does NOT work with 5.2.0. I just said that in my previous post...
bee3245

macos sierra host linux

Post by bee3245 »

I keep having a problem installing ubuntu 16 does have to be with the VM or with sierra 12.6 with virtualbox. i don't know anything of virtual machine i'm taking a class
treffech

Post by treffech »

Hi I use Virtualbox 5.2.2 on Linux.

I try to us all possibility to change the resolution on Mac OS to apply 1440x900 but it doesn't work.

When Virtualbox is going to update to give the possibility to change the resolution simply???? Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

treffech wrote:Virtualbox 5.2.2 on Linux.
You do not have an OSX Host, you have a Linux Host, and unfortunately OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). See: Mac OS X guest on a Windows Host.

In the really rare case (0.001%) that this is actually an Apple computer in which you have installed Linux, and you're trying to boot a legitimate OSX guest and not a Hackintosh, send me a PM and I'll remedy the situation. Be prepared to provide evidence in such a case.

Locking this.