[Solved] VBox Win7 machine Aborted everytime on shutdown?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Eschscholzia

[Solved] VBox Win7 machine Aborted everytime on shutdown?

Post by Eschscholzia »

I was told to be careful about how I shut down VBox to avoid having trouble with my virtual Windows machine. I noticed this week that it is showing 'Aborted' in the Status window for the virtual Windows machine after I do a usual start menu > shutdown.

Do I need to do something about this to avoid virtual damage to the stability of my virtual machine?

MBP on OSX El Capitan, VBox Windows7 machine (outdated but supports outdated enterprise software, not let loose on the wider internet).
Last edited by socratis on 21. Nov 2017, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VBox Win7 machine Aborted everytime on shutdown?

Post by BillG »

Did you shut down or save the vm before you shut down the host? I never rely on the host to do that for me.
Bill
Eschscholzia

Post by Eschscholzia »

Sorry if I was not clear enough: I am attempting to do a routine shutdown of the VM from the VM's Windows start menu, and I see the usual 'shutting down' screen message for a bit, and then some seconds or a minute later, the VM window closes and I see just the VBox window with the 'Aborted' tag below the VM's name.

This is not using the VBox menus or any shutdown of the Mac itself.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not saved or paused. Completely shut down.
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Eschscholzia

Post by Eschscholzia »

Problem vanished. I did nothing different that I can think of--I started the VM from the start arrow, and shut it down from the start menu of the VM; and instead of 'aborted', I saw 'Powered Off'. I verified that this was not an artifact of being on my home network by setting up VPN to my campus network (because that's where the problem started), and again, it is 'Powered Off'.

I have not downloaded anything new for VBox or updated my OS.

Apparently the threat of being logged fixed it. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
And BTW, your network settings should not be affecting what you were seeing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.