Win7 Host won't connect to HDD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rainman1962

Win7 Host won't connect to HDD

Post by rainman1962 »

I am using VB 5.2.0 on a 2017 MacBook Pro Host with a Win7 Pro Guest. I have an old HDD (100 GB Hitachi) from a laptop that I have connected to a USB cable which works fine from the Host directly. Since the new MacBook only has a USB-C connection I am going through a Cable Matters Adapter (#201048) USB-C to 4K HDMI Multiport Adapter with 2x USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, and Power Delivery. After ensuring that the Host has not mounted the drive and checking the correct filter, I hear a Windows connection tone, but the drive never shows up in the Guest Windows Explorer.

Guest additions are installed and the 5.2.0 extension pack is installed. I have downloaded the Intel eXtensible drivers. I have tried to run my own filter and the filter that is generated automatically. All to no avail. Other devices work through the Cable Matters adapter such as a No Name thumb drive and a LG DVD drive but not this HDD. I have tried connecting the device before and after opening the Guest and tried connecting the adapter and then the HDD in different orders to the MacBook to no avail.

I pretty much figure this HDD won't work but I thought I would ask here first. I have done a lot of searching and reviewing the tutorials but nothing there seems to help.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win7 Host won't connect to HDD

Post by mpack »

We could discuss how to struggle with USB, or you could just do it the easy way: access the drive as a shared folder.