How do I config VB to use a USB WiFi adaptor?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
swcng2001

How do I config VB to use a USB WiFi adaptor?

Post by swcng2001 »

Hello everyone,

I have an iMac running Sierra 10.13.1. The built-in wifi card died on me so instead of shelling out many $ to repair it, I bought a EdiMax AC 600 EW7811USC and it works perfectly with OSX. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work as a Bridged Adaptor with a Linux Mint guest under VirtualBox. The version of VB is 5.1.30 r118389.

Before I had the problem with the builtin wifi I configured VB with a Bridged Adaptor and everything was perfect. With the USB dongle, I can only get it to work with NAT. This is not satisfactory for me as I want to use Linux Mint as a server on my network. I cannot even SSH to it since it now does not have an IP address of its own.

When using VB->Devices->Network->Network Settings, I have selected Bridged Adaptor and en4: Edimax AC600 USB.

I understand that configuring as a Bridged Adaptor, the VM treats the network connection as an internally hardwired ethernet connection. So under Linux Mint's "Network Connection" menu, I've selected the Ethernet and added a connection with automatic connection. Under the Ethernet tab, the device now shows as enp0s3 (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) and everything else is set as default or automatic. This has not help establish a connection.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be music appreciated.

Thanks.
swcng2001

Re: How do I config VB to use a USB WiFi adaptor?

Post by swcng2001 »

Oops...meat to say ...much appreciated!!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: How do I config VB to use a USB WiFi adaptor?

Post by BillG »

That is an unfortunate fact of life. Some wi-fi devices work with VirtualBox bridged mode, some do not. Sometimes a driver update will fix it, sometimes not.
Bill