[Solved] Hilfe ... völlig falsche Größenangaben bei einer VMDK Datei

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Fancyfc

[Solved] Hilfe ... völlig falsche Größenangaben bei einer VMDK Datei

Post by Fancyfc »

Hallo Zusammen,

ich hoffe sehr, mir kann jemand bei meinem Problem helfen.

Ich betreibe eine Windows 10 pro Maschine auf einem MacOS Host. Installation usw. hat alles problemlos geklappt, die virtuelle Maschine hat eine Größe von 24,3 GB.
Wollte dann eine Sicherung der virtuellen Maschine auf eine externe Platte machen, brach sofort mit der Fehlermeldung ab, auf der externen Festplatte fehlen 1,8 TB.

Zu meiner Verwunderung wird die erstellte VDMK Datei mit 1,9 TB angegeben, bei den Detailinformationen steht dann "Physikalisch 24,3 GB".

Was läuft da falsch ? Wo ist der Fehler ?

Bin echt am verzweifeln.

Danke für eure Hilfe und Anmerkungen.
Frank
Last edited by Fancyfc on 8. Nov 2017, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Achtung ... völlig falsche Größenangaben bei einer VMDK Datei

Post by mpack »

Replying in English:

What filesystem does the external drive use? FAT doesn't allow single files larger than 4GB. The drive would have to be reformatted to something more modern. On OS X hosts I believe exFAT is a common choice.
Fancyfc

Re: Achtung ... völlig falsche Größenangaben bei einer VMDK Datei

Post by Fancyfc »

The file system is not the problem. The Finder displays a file size of the VMDK file of 2.1 TB, but the real size of the VMDK file is only 26.1 GB (see attachment).

Why does MacOS assume a file size of 1.9 TB when the real size is only 26.1 GB ?
Attachments
Infos zu Windows 10 Pro (x64).vmdk 2017-11-08.jpg
Infos zu Windows 10 Pro (x64).vmdk 2017-11-08.jpg (114.98 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Hilfe ... völlig falsche Größenangaben bei einer VMDK Datei

Post by mpack »

Can you show me the listing for the VMDK in File|Virtual Media Manager?

It would also be helpful if you described how you attempted to make the VM backup. I.e. what procedure did you follow.
Fancyfc

Post by Fancyfc »

Hi mpack,

first of all thank you for your support and your time!

The listing can be found in the appendix.

I wanted to use the Finder to write a backup of the virtual machine as a copy of the entire directory to the external hard disk, i. e. with a normal copy command.

The central question for me is why does the MacOs/Finder recognize the virtual machine as a 2.1 TB file and not the real size of 26 GB ?
Attachments
Manager für virtuelle Medien 2017-11-08.jpg
Manager für virtuelle Medien 2017-11-08.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Fancyfc

Post by Fancyfc »

hat jemand sonst noch eine Idee ? .... any other ideas ?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Der Finder "kennt" das vmdk-Format und kann daher auslesen, daß die Datei mit der logischen Größe von 2TB angelegt wurde.
Er zeigt Dir aber auch, wie im Screenshot zu sehen, die derzetige Größe "26,1GB auf dem Volume" an.

Virtualbox hat damit definitv nichts zu tun. Hast Du auch VMware oder andere Virtualisierungstools installiert? Vielleicht kann OSX das ja auch selbst.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Taking into account what Martin says, then I suspect you tried to copy 2TB of content from inside the VMDK instead of copying the host file.

Since there is such a big disparity between VMDK capacity and file size I can only assume that the data is mostly 0 bytes (which VirtualBox compresses). However if you copy the VMDK contents to the host then it will of course grow to its true size, i.e. a little less than 2TB.

If all you want to do is make a backup then all you need do is copy the host folder. The copied files on disk B can't be any larger than they were on disk A.
Fancyfc

Post by Fancyfc »

Hallo Martin, hallo mpack,

Ich habe die virtuelle Machine mit 128 GB Größe angelegt, das zeigt auch mein Screenshot ... und genau das ist mein Problem!

Obwohl ich die VM mit 128 GB angelegt habe, ist die dahinterliegende VMDK-Datei 2 TB groß, warum ? Ich verstehe das nicht.

Und nein, ich habe sonst keinerlei andere Virtualisierungssoftware auf meinem Mac installiert.

Wahrscheinlich bleibt mir nichts anderes übrig als die VM mit Tools zu verkleinern oder ich muss von vorne anfangen, was ich aber unbedingt vermeiden möchte.
---------
I have created the virtual machine with 128 GB size, this also shows my screenshot... and that's exactly my problem!

Although I created the VM with 128 GB, the VMDK file behind it is 2 TB large, why? I don't understand.

And no, I don't have any other virtualization software installed on my Mac.

I probably have no other choice but to shrink the VM with tools, or I have to start all over again, but I don't want to do that.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ah I see!

I apologise. I don't read German, so I assumed that the smaller number is the usage, and the larger number is the capacity. I had to double check the order of the columns in the English language version to realize my mistake.

Ok, then something is wrong with the VMDK header. It must have been corrupted somehow.

What kind of VMDK is this? Is this the single self contained file kind, or the kind with separate small descriptor and image file? You can identify the latter kind because the main .vmdk file will be tiny, just a few kb.

Where did this VMDK come from? Was it created in VirtualBox?

Do you have a backup of this VM?
Fancyfc

Post by Fancyfc »

I think it is a single self contained file, see attachment.

I created the VM normally via Virtualbox.
Attachments
Windows 10 Pro (x64) 2017-11-10 11-15-08.jpg
Windows 10 Pro (x64) 2017-11-10 11-15-08.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Is that a picture of an explorer window from the host OS?

Because that picture seems to be agreeing with VirtualBox: the physical file is 1.9TB, it is not just a header problem. I have no idea how that is possible, it's like some runaway process kept adding data to the end of the file.

One interesting thing you could do is to try cloning the VMDK with CloneVDI (see CloneVDI Werkzeug FAQ und Diskussionen), with the "Compact" and "Keep UUID" options enabled. It may fail with an error message. If it works it should give you a VDI of the correct size and UUID. A bit of juggling would give you a working VM.
Fancyfc

Post by Fancyfc »

I copied the VM with the tool CloneVDI and transfered it into the VDI format. Everything's working again.
Thanks for your support!!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm glad I could help. Marking as solved.