OSX Sierra, virtualbox doesn't run

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jure

OSX Sierra, virtualbox doesn't run

Post by jure »

Good morning,

I installed and uninstalled virtualbox lot of times, and searched a lot in the web, but i can't find a solution.
I think i correctly add the permissions (i'm not an experienced mac user).

When i launch the app, i notice a little movement in the dock, like an app that starts but it's killed in a second.
When i launch it using Spotlight, an alert appairs with the message [ The application "VirtualBox" can't be opened ]
When i launch it from the Applications folder, the alert does not appair.

I don't know how to give you more details, please tell me how can retrive them, so i can provide them to you.

Thanks a lot.

OSX Sierra 10.12.6
VirtualBox 5.2
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OSX Sierra, virtualbox doesn't run

Post by socratis »

1. Reboot.
  2. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds), if you don't already have them.
  3. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  6. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open Console.app and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jure

Post by jure »

i did everything you suggested, but the problem remains.

In the attachment you will find:
- the installer log
- part of the "/var/log/install.log" file (i can't find anything else related to VirtualBox in the console's logs)

Thanks.
Attachments
Archivio.zip
(7.55 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
jure

Post by jure »

Please, do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jure wrote:do you have any suggestion?
Re-install OSX.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
phil mac

Post by phil mac »

I used to get that feeble bounce a lot on my mac, but then I was using an old PowerPC long past its sellby date.

On my present MBP (mid 2010) I did manage to boot VB 4.18 and 5.20 on Sierra, but it was never good. I tried 3 times, 3 installations, each was maimed in some way... screensize too small, no USB nor file sharing, a struggle to get online.

What is your Mac spec?

For other reasons I did a clean install of High Sierra. Downloaded VB5.22
Loads, and runs like a dream...
Looking good!
But...

I do have a windows 8.1 iso, the same one that was loaded by the wizard on 5.20. This time the wizard did not install it.

So now I have VB running, filling the screen, all present and connected... but no guest OS.

Dont know how to install windows now that it is up and running...
Last edited by phil mac on 28. Nov 2017, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

phil mac
If you keep on hijacking other people's threads, I'm going to start deleting your messages. No questions asked. I told you; open your own thread.
phil mac

Post by phil mac »

I run a mac like this OP

I feel his pain and have experienced this problem, I think I can help

Obviously you are unable to understand this.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

phil mac
I'm running OSX as well. And? Please, I don't want to keep on polluting innocent threads with random exchanges. For the last time, please open your own thread.
phil mac

Post by phil mac »

I was running OSX and had this problem too. Forgive me, I thought this was the only Mac forum of threads on this VB board.

I post here because I know what has happened to the OP with the bouncing dock icon. I have experienced that problem and know how to make it work.

I do not run OSX on my MBP, I used to and VB was unsuccessful. Now I am running MacOS and the problems have gone. VB runs beautifully now on 10.13.1 and I would recommend OP to seek a solution by upgrading to the Beta, if his hardware will run it. And my 7yo machine will do it without a problem, be encouraged.

I understood this to be a public form. I am well versed on similar public Forae where other members dialogue and contribute their experiences to the open discussion.

This is my first experience of a moderator who keeps posts on a public notice board some kind of private thread between OP and himself.

I am outta here.
Last edited by phil mac on 28. Nov 2017, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Even in ancient Greece where forums were "invented" there were rules. You couldn't just butt in and say whatever you wanted in completely unrelated subjects. That's why here as well there are Users, Volunteers, Moderators and Administrators. There's a hierarchy and rules. You've already hijacked two completely unrelated threads, just because the word "OSX" was there. I told you that it's easy to create your own specific thread. What you do with the forum is up to you.