Discuss the 5.2.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
clloyd

Re: VM settings is unresponsive

Post by clloyd »

michaln wrote: Does that happen with every host OS VirtualBox supports, or just the one you tried? If the latter, would you mind mentioning which one it was?
Forgot to mention I'm using Ubuntu 17.04. Somehow it's fine the next day though, including the Manager's preference.
Is that an OS 5.1.8 is expected to recognize?
I might have misinterpreted the error message.

Code: Select all

Error reading OVA (VERR_TAR_UNEXPECTED_EOS), Result Code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (OX80BB0005), Component: ApplianceWrap, Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
Some googling suggests it might be due to corrupted file. But I was able to export the same VM (guest OS is XP 32-bit) using 5.1.28 with the same external HDD, to be imported by 5.1.8.
This time with 5.2, I had to export .vdi instead, create new VM in the destination and point to the vdi.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss the 5.2.0 release

Post by mpack »

UNEXPECTED_EOS means unexpected End Of Stream, a.k.a. unexpected end of file a.k.a. truncated OVA.

Nothing to do with recognizing the OS, which VirtualBox doesn't need to do anyway.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

If you have an appliance which can't be imported we can only investigate the cause (especially if it isn't truncated in reality, which can be e.g. established by comparing some checksum, length and so on). We'll investigate any such case, no matter who/what created the OVA appliance which doesn't work, with extra motivation if VirtualBox can't import something created by an older or newer version of VirtualBox.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

Sorry to tell this, but I still have some problems with sound, as described here. I tested with current development version (118869) and 118425 before. And I saw some tickets about this issue already opened in bug tracker.

I think that the problem is a new asynchronous HDA emulation. So it really asynchronous to the sound in the VM, which one can see by watching some video and hearing the lag. Another issue is that there is some kind of buffer, which is also has some problems with asynchronous execution, so I have some distortion at the end or beginning of the playback and then periodically after some time. The stammer of playback on pausing it has probably also something to do with buffer and asynchronous emulation: emulation can’t be completely paused and plays the last sound over and over again.

I hope that developer would fix this in the near future. These issues aren’t big ones, but somehow disturbing. The new audio switches are really nice and it would be such a pity to lose them. Otherwise, it’s better to go back to the old but functioning emulation, the same thing which happened last summer after the new sound implementation couldn’t be corrected for some months.
clloyd

Unable to import appliance

Post by clloyd »

klaus wrote:If you have an appliance which can't be imported we can only investigate the cause (especially if it isn't truncated in reality, which can be e.g. established by comparing some checksum, length and so on). We'll investigate any such case, no matter who/what created the OVA appliance which doesn't work, with extra motivation if VirtualBox can't import something created by an older or newer version of VirtualBox.
I just tried exporting the same VM using 5.2 and 5.1.30 (OVF 2.0 with manifest in a .OVA file on both versions). Both versions yield similar size but different checksum. I can import the VM on 5.1.8 created by 5.1.30 but not 5.2 (same error message).
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Unable to import appliance

Post by michaln »

clloyd wrote:I can import the VM on 5.1.8 created by 5.1.30 but not 5.2 (same error message).
Can you import the VM created by 5.2 into 5.1.30? 5.1.8 is long outdated and may well have bugs related to import.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Prabh wrote:can i install and run ESXi in a Virtualbox VM?
Only if it can run without VT-x: a question for VMWare to answer.
SgtSaltNPeppr

Post by SgtSaltNPeppr »

I had to back out 5.2, also. Most of my Linux VMs which used KVM as the virtualizer gave repeated problems starting. Many with kernel timing problems. Going back to 5.13
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

SgtSaltNPeppr wrote:I had to back out 5.2, also. Most of my Linux VMs which used KVM as the virtualizer gave repeated problems starting. Many with kernel timing problems. Going back to 5.13
You're welcome to downgrade, but bugs that are not reported are not going to magically fix themselves (and this was definitely not a bug report).
clloyd

Re: Unable to import appliance

Post by clloyd »

michaln wrote:Can you import the VM created by 5.2 into 5.1.30?
Yes, I can import into 5.1.30. Issue resolved.
007-theguru

Post by 007-theguru »

michaln wrote:
SgtSaltNPeppr wrote:I had to back out 5.2, also. Most of my Linux VMs which used KVM as the virtualizer gave repeated problems starting. Many with kernel timing problems. Going back to 5.13
You're welcome to downgrade, but bugs that are not reported are not going to magically fix themselves (and this was definitely not a bug report).
can please kindly fix the sound lag issue when playing games installed on latest vm 5.2 ? as only 5.2 works with creators fall update 1709 but has sound lag issue for games. have to use previous creators update 1703 to use vm 5.1 for games (as 5.1 does not work with fall creators update 1709) which works perfect with no lag in sound when playing games.
Ethancarter

Windows XP Guest - no more 3d acceleration

Post by Ethancarter »

Hello,

I use Virtualbox on Windows 10 Host (fall update). My Guest is Windows XP.

Since I upgrade to Virtualbox 5.2, 3d acceleration (Direct 3D) is no more working.

Every 3d app crashes, even dxdiag. When I stop the guest, I have a "Wine3D fake windows" (????) that prevent Windows shutdown....

I'm on a new installation of Windows XP (x86) + SP3 + all updates of Windows Updates.

I installed Virtualbox addition in safe mode and 3D acceleration is enabled.

I already had the same issue, fixed by reinstalling Nvidia Drivers (on the host)
But I update my drivers with the latest driver (on the host) but 3D crashes on the host again.

Thanks !

Attachment : vbox.log
Attachments
XP-2017-11-18-22-23-49.zip
(34.52 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by Ethancarter on 19. Nov 2017, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I moved your post to the 5.2.0 feedback topic where it belongs.

As to the problem, I found something similar, except that DxDiag hung, it did not crash. I have not had time to investigate further.
Ethancarter

Post by Ethancarter »

mpack wrote:I moved your post to the 5.2.0 feedback topic where it belongs.

As to the problem, I found something similar, except that DxDiag hung, it did not crash. I have not had time to investigate further.
Sorry. I didn't read your post, so I post again my topic (you can delete it)
However, Markie has the same issue (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85509) on XP Guest.
And yes, dxdiag don't crashes, it hungs (my english is too bad, I didn't choose the good word).
Markie explained the issue better.
mingle

Kernel 4.14.0 breaks VB 5.20 on Linux Mint Host

Post by mingle »

Hi guys,

Just ran into a show-stopper on my Linux Mint 18.2 64-bit xfce host system.

Running kernel 4.13.2 all was fine with VB 5.20.

Then I upgraded the Linux kernel to 4.14.0, after than VB fails to start, see the attached screen-shot.

Reverted to kernel 4.13.2 and worked okay.

I tried running /sbin/vboxconfig, but it fails with multiple error when trying to build the modules - I can't included the log file, as it was 12.3MB in size.

I also tried re-installing the DEB package, but that made no difference.

Cheers,

Mike.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-11-20_12-38-37.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-20_12-38-37.jpg (107.05 KiB) Viewed 6174 times