verr_access_denied error on Mac OS 10.11.3

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
robertdawson

verr_access_denied error on Mac OS 10.11.3

Post by robertdawson »

Yesterday I tried installing the latest Kali Linux version on the latest
Virtual Box version (5.30.1) on my Mac OS 10.11.3.
I get a VERR_ACCESS_DENIED error message, as shown below.
I checked the Unix permissions : both the Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64
directory and its contents have permissions set to rwxrwxrwx.

Following the advice given at https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... ess-denied,
I ran csrutil disable in Recovery Mode on my Mac and restarted it. This changed nothing to the problem.
explain1-min.png
explain1-min.png (38.38 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: verr_access_denied error on Mac OS 10.11.3

Post by michaln »

The stackexchange advice is either irrelevant or flat out wrong. It is certainly irrelevant because it's about raw partition access, which is not what you're trying to do (is it?).

The error message should be pretty clear, the user running VirtualBox does not have sufficient rights to create the directory mentioned in the error message. It certainly doesn't look like the standard VirtualBox VM directory, so no one can really tell you why it's happening. The problem does not have to be ownership, although that is the most likely issue.

You say "both the Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64 directory and its contents have permissions set to rwxrwxrwx", but that makes no sense, because VirtualBox is failing to create a directory, so what you need to be looking at is the /Volumes/Stal/Virtual_machines directory (and who owns that one).

And are you really running 10.11.3? Because that's pretty outdated, 10.11.6 is the latest.
robertdawson

Post by robertdawson »

michaln wrote: it's about raw partition access, which is not what you're trying to do (is it?).
You're right on that one, I'm just trying to create/install a Kali Linux VM from
the latest ova file I downloaded from their website.
michaln wrote: And are you really running 10.11.3? Because that's pretty outdated, 10.11.6 is the latest.
I recently upgraded to 10.11.6 and the problem stayed the same.
michaln wrote: It certainly doesn't look like the standard VirtualBox VM directory
What is "the standard VirtualBox VM directory" on a Mac ? I never saw any mention of it
in the manual. And some time ago I already successfully created and used VMS on my Mac's Virtual Box without ever noticing there was a "standard VirtualBox VM directory".

michaln wrote: You say "both the Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64 directory and its contents have permissions set to rwxrwxrwx", but that makes no sense, because VirtualBox is failing to create a directory, so what you need to be looking at is the /Volumes/Stal/Virtual_machines directory (and who owns that one).

I understand better now. I've just realized something I hadn't realized before : the "Virtual Disk Image" key has an incorrect value in the Appliance Settings.

My ova file is located at the following precise path :

Code: Select all

/Volumes/HELPER/Virtual_machines/Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64/Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64.ova
I tried to launch the VM creation process by double clicking on the ova file.
But when I did that, the default value for the "Virtual Disk Image" key is

/Volumes/Stal/Virtual_machines/Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64/Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64-disk001.vmdk
which is probably a left-over from other VMs I used some time ago.
So I need to edit this value, but I'm not sure exactly what I should put.
I want the stuff to be located in the same place as the ova file, so I tried the following :

/Volumes/HELPER/Virtual_machines/Kali-Linux-2017.2-vbox-amd64/
but now I get a different error message saying "the target disk has no extension".
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

The default VM directory is '~/VirtualBox VMs', i.e. a 'VirtualBox VMs' directory in the user's home directory. It is possible that you changed it to /Volumes/Stal/Virtual_machines. This can be set in the global preferences in the VirtualBox VM Manager GUI.
robertdawson

Post by robertdawson »

michaln wrote:The default VM directory is '~/VirtualBox VMs', i.e. a 'VirtualBox VMs' directory in the user's home directory. It is possible that you changed it to /Volumes/Stal/Virtual_machines. This can be set in the global preferences in the VirtualBox VM Manager GUI.
I did that, and now I get a different error at a later stage in the VM creation process, so I consider the initial question of this topic solved. Thanks for your help