Ist eine VM im Format Virtual Box 4 unter VirtualBox 5.2.0 lauffähig?

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
helma

Ist eine VM im Format Virtual Box 4 unter VirtualBox 5.2.0 lauffähig?

Post by helma »

Hallo an alle

Problem:
Ich möchte mein bestehendes System "Win 10 pro (creators Update)" mit dem Paragon Festplatten Manager 15 Professional SP5 virtualisieren.
Dieser erstellt mir aber nur eine VM im Format Virtual Box 4.

Frage:
Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, eine im Format Virtual Box 4 erzeugte VM "Win 10 plus" in das aktuelle Format VirtualBox 5.2.0 umzuwandeln?
Bzw. ist unter VirtualBox 5.2.0 eine erzeugte VM Format Virtual Box 4 lauffähig?

Host: Win 10 pro (creators Update)
Guest: Win 10 pro (creators Update)

Danke für die Info.
helma
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ist eine VM im Format Virtual Box 4 unter VirtualBox 5.2.0 lauffähig?

Post by socratis »

[color=#BF4000]DeepL translation[/color] wrote:Problem: I would like to virtualize my existing system "Win 10 pro (creators Update)" with the Paragon Disk Manager 15 Professional SP5. However, it only creates a VM in Virtual Box 4 format.

Question: Is there any way to convert a VM "Win 10 plus" created in Virtual Box 4 format to the current VirtualBox 5.2.0 format? Or is a VM format VirtualBox 4 running under VirtualBox 5.2.0?
Replying in English...
According to a video that I saw for Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12, it simply creates a virtual hard drive for the physical hard drive that it converts. You can definitely use the 4.x VDI. You then create a VM around that hard drive.

You could also have used the free Disk2VHD from Microsoft, then convert that VHD to VDI, and "build" the VM recipe around that VDI.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:
[color=#BF4000]DeepL translation[/color] wrote:However, it only creates a VM in Virtual Box 4 format.
Even if the OP is correct in saying that the VM (as opposed to the VDI) is in VirtualBox v4.x format, then it wouldn't matter since there has been no significant change that I can think of, and in any case VirtualBox is always backwards compatible: v5.2.x can still launch v3.x VMs.
Borsti78

Post by Borsti78 »

Servus! Paragon erzeugt inzwischen tatsächlich mehr, als nur die virtuelle Festplatte: der Manager ist in der Lage, die zugehörigen Maschinenkonfiguration gleich mit zu erstellen (http://download.paragon-software.com/do ... al_eng.pdf Seite 75+). Da die von den Versionen her aber stets etwas veraltet sind, würde ich ehrlich gesagt lieber nur die virtualle Festplatte und die Konfiguration dann mit dem jeweiligen Manager der Virtualisierungssoftware erstellen. Mag sein, dass es momentan bei Virtualbox abwärtskompatibel ist, aber ob das später und bei z.B. Vmware auch immer so funktioniert, sei mal dahingestellt ;)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

[color=#BF4000]DeepL translation[/color] wrote:Paragon actually produces more than just the virtual hard disk: the manager is able to create the corresponding machine configuration
to which mpack clearly replied:
mpack wrote:Even if ... the VM is in VirtualBox v4.x format ... VirtualBox is always backwards compatible: v5.2.x can still launch v3.x VMs.
(I really hate quoting previous answers. Please read them next time or translate them if you don't understand them)
[color=#BF4000]DeepL translation[/color] wrote:However, since the versions are always a bit outdated, I would honestly prefer to create only the virtual hard disk and the configuration with the respective manager of the virtualization software.
1) There is no such thing as an "outdated" VM. 2) Your VDI is only your virtual hard disk. You can delete the recipe (the .vbox file) and be left only with the VDI. Then you have to create a VM around that VDI.
[color=#BF4000]DeepL translation[/color] wrote:It may be that it is downward compatible at the moment with Virtualbox, but whether this works later and with e. g. Vmware also always like this, is not clear
I wouldn't know. You'll need to ask them. Or search for answers on the Internet. There are more results than you want...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
helma

Post by helma »

Hallo

Habe mit "Paragom HDM 15 Sp2", als auch mit "Ms Disk2VHD" je eine P2V-Kopie meines Win10-Systems erstellt.
Beide VM ließen sich problemlos in "VirtualBox 5.2.0" einbinden.
Leider waren diese jedoch infolge vorliegenden Arbeitsspeichermangels meiner Hardware (3200 MB, effektiv 2088 MB) nicht aufrufbar und verweigerten mit RAM-Fehlermeldung die Ausführung.

Nach mehrfachen Fehlversuchen habe ich mich nun entschlossen "Linux Mint Mate 18.2." als Vm

einzusetzen, welche fehlerfrei sich installieren ließ.
Muss mich nun als bisheriger MS-Nutzer auch noch mit Linux auseinandersetzen.

Host: Win 10 pro (creators Update)
VirtualBox 5.2.0
Guest: Linux Mint Mate 18.2

Nochmals vielen Dank für Eure hilfreiche Unterstützung.

Gruß
helma