Graphic corruption with Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
quizerti

Graphic corruption with Windows 10

Post by quizerti »

I have been experiencing some small graphic glitches with Windows 10 VM's. I am posting to see if anybody else has had these.

I should point out that these errors are not consistent and seem to happen randomly.

1. White boxes on Start menu sometimes appear then go disappear after a few seconds.
2. A lot of graphics are corrupted in Settings. Mostly the main menu, but sometimes the switches also become corrupted.

I have posted images below of what I have described.

mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Graphic corruption with Windows 10

Post by mpack »

I would assume it's a problem with OpenGL graphics on the host, but you haven't mentioned 3D acceleration, nor provided a log, nor mentioned VirtualBox version nor the host OS.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

mpack wrote:I would assume it's a problem with OpenGL graphics on the host, but you haven't mentioned 3D acceleration, nor provided a log, nor mentioned VirtualBox version nor the host OS.
I shall provide as much information as I can. I am trying to follow the Minimum information needed for assistance guide to help me try and supply you with what information you need.

I have enabled 2D and 3D acceleration. The host is Windows 10 x64 1709. I am using VirtualBox v5.2.0 r118431 with guest additions installed on the Windows 10 x86 guest. It may also be relevant to this situation that I have a GTX 1050 Ti installed and using the latest and stable v388.13 drivers.

I have attached a Vbox.log
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

quizerti wrote:I have attached a Vbox.log
Good idea, but I don't see it. Please zip the log before trying again.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

VBox.zip
VBox.zip
(33.1 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Let's see if this works.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. Someone else getting the "resolution xxx not accepted by the frontend" warning in the log. In the UI (not the VM) what setting do you have for File|Preferences|Display|Max Guest DIsplay Size?

I see several occurrences of OpenGL errors such as this :-
VBox.log wrote: 00:04:00.524920 OpenGL Warning: cleaning gl error (0x502), ignoring.. (3 out of 5) ..
00:04:00.554905 OpenGL Warning: cleaning gl error (0x502), ignoring.. (4 out of 5) ..
0x502 is GL_INVALID_OPERATION, not much help since I don't know what the operation is.

The session only seems to last 4 minutes, so I don't know if the OpenGL errors would have continued.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

0x502 is GL_INVALID_OPERATION, not much help since I don't know what the operation is.

The session only seems to last 4 minutes, so I don't know if the OpenGL errors would have continued.
"Maximum Guest Screen Size" is set to Automatic.

The VM was just a test for a Windows 10 image. I used the VM for about 10 minutes, mostly adjusting stuff in Setting and a little play in Edge browser towards the end. I have called the log file for this session, Vbox 1.

I also tried another session with 2D and 3D acceleration both disabled. No graphical glitches were experienced for the few minutes I use the VM. The log file for this session is called Vbox 2.
Attachments
VBox.zip
VBox
(59.07 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Corax

Post by Corax »

Not entirely sure if it's directly connected or related, I'm having an issue with a 1709 guest on v5.2.0 as well. I'm getting some graphical corruption (though not in the same places as here), but the bigger issue for me is that I can no longer drag the VM window around. I'm on an OS X High Sierra host.

Dragging the window results in moving the window border and black contents while the OS renders in the location of the window's original placement. Mouse interaction has to be done on the blank window frame but interacts with the OS render as one would expect if it had followed.

Further testing:
  • Uninstalling VBox additions resolves the issue
  • Clean installing additions brings it back
  • Disabling 3D acceleration also resolves the issue
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(29.66 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

VBox.zip
Vbox.zip
(32.86 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
I have updated my VirtualBox to v5.2.2 today and performed a fresh installation of Windows 10 from the same ISO that was used in the first post.

I am sorry to report that I am still having the same issues in v5.2.2 as I was in v5.2.0. The only thing that seems to help is by going into Settings > Ease of Access > Other options > Disable "Play animations in Windows".

I have attached screenshots of where I have found corrupted graphics while navigating Settings. I have also attached log files from the same session and while it also performs a Windows Update. I have these are of some use.

Image Image Image
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@mpack
I also see the "resolution ##x## not accepted by the frontend" as well as the "OpenGL Warning: cleaning gl error ..." messages without any side effects. It must be something new that they've added, I think it's really harmless.

@Corax
You do not have the same problem, yours is a problem with the interaction between 10.13.1 and Qt5. See if an update to VirtualBox 5.2.2 fixes it. If not, there are 4 easy workarounds, see this post for the details.

@quizerti
Your logs look really similar when compared with mine, and standalone. So I'll agree with mpack and I think that it's your graphics card and/or its drivers. If there's an easy workaround, use it. Wait for the fix, either in the next VirtualBox version (small chances) or updated drivers for your graphics card (high, really high chances).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

Vbox.zip
Vbox.zip
(62.72 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
socratis wrote:@quizerti
Your logs look really similar when compared with mine, and standalone. So I'll agree with mpack and I think that it's your graphics card and/or its drivers. If there's an easy workaround, use it. Wait for the fix, either in the next VirtualBox version (small chances) or updated drivers for your graphics card (high, really high chances).
I have done some more testing. I performed a clean installation of Windows 10 64-bit on my computer and didn't install anything extra. Windows automatically installed v388.13 drivers for my Nvidia 1050Ti - I deliberately didn't upgrade these, to see if perhaps the problem was caused by more recent drivers. I still got corrupted graphics after performing a fresh install of VirtualBox then a fresh virtual machine.

So I removed my Nvidia card and used the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630. After allowing Windows to automatically install the drivers, I restarted into safe mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the Nvidia driver and restarted back into normal mode. I then started the virtual machine and immediately noticed how much smoother the mouse felt to move. But I soon noticed some corrupted graphics again, although not as much. I reinstalled the Guest Additions, but this did not help.

In both instances, disabling animations under "Ease of Access" seems to help resolve corrupted graphics.

I should also add that I installed Windows 10 from the same ISO that I used for the virtual machine. I have not seen any corrupted graphics, so that rules out my installation in my mind.

I have attached logs from both sessions in Vbox.zip.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

quizerti wrote:I should also add that I installed Windows 10 from the same ISO that I used for the virtual machine. I have not seen any corrupted graphics, so that rules out my installation in my mind.
Graphics on the host and graphics on the guest are not caused by improper installation, I don't think anybody said that.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. All your logs look just fine, so I don't know what might be causing this other than the combination of hardware/software of your graphics card. It's especially frustrating that it happens with two of them, but still, I'm drawing a blank.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

I only wanted to reinstall to eliminate any possibilities of my install causing issues. But I agree, this is frustrating!
Last edited by socratis on 26. Nov 2017, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
przemek1234pl

Post by przemek1234pl »

This is very common bug I think. I have this bug when both the host OS and the guest OS are Windows 10. It happens only if 3D acceleration is enabled in VirtualBox. It happens on two different computers in my house. One is Kaby Lake desktop PC with NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics and the second is a 2in1 laptop with Skylake-U CPU and integrated GPU as well as NVIDIA GeForce 940M (NVIDIA Optimus), but for VirtualBox iGPU is used. Also when 3D acceleration is enabled and I try to save the state of VM when closing it or just to save snapshot, VirtualBox sometimes CRASHES!!! I've also seen Polish series on YouTube "History of Windows" and when Windows 10 was shown it had these glitches.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

This still has not been fixed.

What, if any, updates are there on this issue?