Wieviel Ram für 7 VMs nötig?

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
papillon121

Wieviel Ram für 7 VMs nötig?

Post by papillon121 »

Hallo Leute,

ich habe eine Frage zum Ram Verbrauch.

Ich möchte auf einem Windows 10 Rechner, sieben VMs laufen lassen, auf denen jeweils auch Win 10 installiert ist.

Nun braucht eine VM ca. 5 GB Ram damit sie schnell bei mir läuft. Heißt das, dass ich 35 GB Ram benötige, wenn ich 7 VMs laufen lassen will, oder gibt es einen Trick, wie der Ram variabel (also nur wenn er auch wirklich gebraucht wird) von der VM eingesetzt werden kann?

Für Tipps oder Vorschläge wäre ich sehr dankbar!

Grüße!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Wieviel Ram für 7 VMs nötig?

Post by mpack »

Replying in English...

If N VMs require X GM RAM each - and so does the host, and all N VMs run at the same time then yes, your host requires (N+1)*X GB RAM. It also should have (N+1) CPU cores if you want useful performance.
papillon121

Post by papillon121 »

Yes but i thought the vm just need the ram to start windows 10, so i thought about variable ram usage.

what if i need 10 VMs, did i need to buy 80 GB Ram für round about 800 Euro?
Last edited by socratis on 1. Nov 2017, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

papillon121 wrote:i thought about variable ram usage.
There is no such thing. There is "lazy" allocation. That means that a VM might not allocate all the RAM from the beginning. But it will do eventually. And *then* you'll run into problems.
papillon121 wrote:what if i need 10 VMs, did i need to buy 80 GB Ram für round about 800 Euro?
Maybe... You can shop around for better deals. Although, you'll have bigger problems. Not a lot of computers support 80 GB of RAM. And if they do, they are way, way, way more money than your 800 €... Start looking at 5-digits...

Take a look at ch. 4.9 Memory overcommitment of the user manual. Both of the sub-chapters...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
papillon121

Post by papillon121 »

thank you very much for your answer so far. so theres no other option for me to run 10 windows10 VMs at the same time on 1 PC without spending in a 5 Digit PC System?

Greetings to you!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The shortest answer is that VMs cannot use host paged memory, the RAM must physically exist. VirtualBox does have a feature which can allow memory to be shared by VMs (but not with the host), Socratis already gave you the link. I would be suspicious of features like that. IMHO complete freedom requires each VM to have independant resources.

And best not gloss over the CPU cores issue either. Or I/O bandwidth.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You might be better of buying 10 PCs. As for the "big kahuna", here's a result from a quick search for 80 GB of RAM: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-build-a- ... sive-tasks
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Borsti78

Post by Borsti78 »

Servus! Wie andere ja schon erwähnten, ist Ram ja nicht alles, selbst wenn das, was du vor hast, möglich wäre. Die Vms wollen alle ihre Cpu-Kerne, Grafikspeicher, Netzwerkdurchsatz, Lese- und Schreibleistung von der Festplatte etc. Da landet man insbesondere bei der Preisfrage sehr schnell wieder bei mehreren Hosts mit Standardkomponenten, da es ja schon ein Unterschied ist, die 7 Vms auf einem Host für sicher > 60000 € laufen zu lassen, oder einfach auf 2 Hosts für zusammen < 1000 € ;)

Standen in der Firma vor einer ähnlichen Aufgabe und haben nach langem hin und her auch einfach 3 Hosts mit Standardkomponenten aus dem Konsumerbereich zusammengezimmert. Zugriff auf die Vms läuft dann halt entweder per Rdp, oder Displayumschaltung auf die verschiedenen Hosts.
papillon121

10 virtuelle Maschinen auf einem PC möglich?

Post by papillon121 »

Hallo Leute,

Ich komme gleich zur Sache: Ich möchte gerne 10 VMs auf einem PC laufen lassen. Mein PC hat 36 GB Ram und i5 7400.

Nun laufen dort gerade 3 VMs flüssig (jeweils mit 6 GB Ram, Windows 10 64Bit).

Sobald ich allerdings die vierte VM starte, kommt alles ins stocken. Ich wollte gerne insgesamt 10 VMs laufen lassen, alle mit den gleichen Spezifikationen.

Hat jemand eine Idee wie das möglich sein könnte?

Schöne Grüße!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I merged your topic with the previous question you had. It's the same exactly issue, so there is no need for a duplicate.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Und was soll so eine VM können? Wozu dient sie?