Issue opening Guest after Vbox update

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jybfan04

Issue opening Guest after Vbox update

Post by Jybfan04 »

Here is a copy of the error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine National Womens Law Center.

Unsupported version 6 of data unit 'hda' (instance #0, pass 0xffffffff) (VERR_SSM_UNSUPPORTED_DATA_UNIT_VERSION).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Issue opening Guest after Vbox update

Post by socratis »

Did you use a saved state? Did you upgrade VirtualBox or your host? BTW, always include complete versions of host, guest and VirtualBox. And what happened before you started getting the error, what lead to this. Don't leave us guessing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jybfan04

Post by Jybfan04 »

My apologies for my brevity, but here is some more details surrounding the guest.

Windows host = Windows 7 pro 64 bit
Virtual box was updated and guest no longer opens, also it did indeed have saved states. What prompted the upgrade, to begin with, is the fact I was having issues with launching virtual box figured an upgrade would do the trick. After multiple restarts, I moved forward with upgrading Virtual box and all of it's additional files. I've considered downgrading Vbox but I do not recall what version I previously had installed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

When I said complete versions, I really meant it... ;)
Windows 7 can be at multiple update levels, that's why something like "Windows 7, build 7601, SP1" is preferred. You can get that information by running "winver". That's for future reference...

Now, I checked your posts history and guess what... You did almost the same thing 9 months ago:
[url=https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81561]A little while back[/url], Jybfan04 wrote:this was the first time I've had this issue of upgrading and saved state guests reacted they way they did. Much of this was oversight on my part, but learned a valuable lesson and I too will adopt the same mantra.
I take it that the last part of that quote didn't stick... :D
Jybfan04 wrote:I moved forward with upgrading Virtual box and all of it's additional files.
See the answer from 'scottgus1' in your previous thread.
Jybfan04 wrote:I do not recall what version I previously had installed.
See another answer from 'scottgus1' in your previous thread.

Come to think of it, you should be revisiting the previous thread and see what you did at the time and repeat it.

See in in 9 months... :lol:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jybfan04

Post by Jybfan04 »

Thanks, I had remembered after reviewing my post I did a similar thing.

The previous one was simply an issue with the drive letter changing on the disk drive which the guest files were stored.