Problem compiling guest additions, 5.2.0, on Centos 7

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
thraxsa

Re: Problem compiling guest additions, 5.2.0, on Centos 7

Post by thraxsa »

Must admit, I am a little miffed at it all.

Not that I think it is a reasonable expectation to test a new Build of VB and the Guest Extensions for every possible OS, however the common ones like RedHat, Fedora, Centos, Ubuntu, Mint for example, should all be thoroughly tested before being made available ( or at the very least be released as a Beta ).

I am sticking to version 5.2 for now ... it works fine. No doubt Oracle will sort out this new version but until it has these bugs ironed out I will avoid it.
the Vax Man

Post by the Vax Man »

I have the exact same problem with the same errors from the /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log - this is the first time I have ever seen this problem.

I am running VirtualBox 5.2.0 r118431 on Windows 10 Enterprise (10.0.14393 Build 14393) Host with XUbuntu 17.04.

After building and then restarting, I ended up not being able to access the GUI after login. I had to revert to the console on reboot (and using Ctrl+Alt+F1) and uninstall the Guest Additions which then allowed me back into the GUI after a restart.

I have tried the latest update (see the VirtualBox homepage where there is a reference to an Update) and this did not work either.

The home page indicates to report back if this latest image fail - so here you are - it failed :(

Thanks!!!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

thraxsa wrote: however the common ones like RedHat, Fedora, Centos, Ubuntu, Mint for example, should all be thoroughly tested before being made available ...
Common platforms are indeed being tested - by you and others like you. You are not an Oracle customer, you are a test resource. Otherwise what did you believe your role is?
thraxsa

Post by thraxsa »

Apologize - I didn't mean to be condescending. I enjoy using VB and understanding feedback is important in developing software such as this : ) All good : )
Last edited by socratis on 25. Oct 2017, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
avishaig

Post by avishaig »

This one solved it for me too -
1. Download VBoxGuestAdditions for virtualbox 5.1.3
2. Mount it to your image
3. Run VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

Thanks,
Avishai
npeters

Post by npeters »

I have the exact same issue with VirtualBox 5.2.0 running Guest additions 5.2.0 on MacOS X Sierra 10.12.6

Code: Select all

/tmp/bvox.0/modesetting.c:330:2: error: implicit declation of function 'AssertPtr' [-Werror=implicit-function-delcatration] // LogFunc(("HGSMIHeapAllox failed\n"));
/tmp/bvox.0/hgsmi_base.c: In function 'hgsmi_send_caps_info':
/tmp/bvox.0/hgsmi_base.c:99:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'AssertRC'[-Werror=implicit-function-delcatration] AssertRC(p->rc);
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/modesetting.0] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.0] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxvideo] Error 2
Last edited by socratis on 27. Oct 2017, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please, all of you, try the latest builds from the test builds section, the "Development snapshots" at the bottom of the page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cwahlgren
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: CentOS 5,6,7

Post by cwahlgren »

I have the same problem with latest updated CentOS 7.4 - works with "VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-118468.iso".
vdir

Post by vdir »

Build failed using GA packaged with VB 5.2.0 r118431 with AssertRC error in hgsmi_base.c, AssertPtr error in modesetting.c
Success with Guest Additions 118868
archlinux 4.13.9-1 current on 10/30, host win 10
the Vax Man

Post by the Vax Man »

I have found that the latest guest image (https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 118918.iso) now works for me in XUbuntu. I realize that this thread is focused on Centos, but wanted to add this update.

Thanks.
G1ne

Post by G1ne »

Hey guys,

Came across this thread as I have the same issue.

Using Latest test of VB and also latest version of GA 5.2.1-118918.

Keep getting the install to the following and it crashes...

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.1 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.2.1 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.

It then returns me to the terminal prompt.

I've tried every suggestion in here. When I go through the upgrade from the terminal, I get to the sudo m-a prepare and it returns as Command not Found

Please help!!

I'm running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, with Ubuntu 16.4.3 (XX) installed as guest in VB.
Fuzzypiggy

Post by Fuzzypiggy »

Building an OHEL 7.4 guest on a Windows 10 host. Latest 5.2.0 download ( with GA 5.2 ), the GA 5.2 failed to install.

Confirmed that latest build of GA 5.2.1 from development snapshots worked perfectly in the guest.

( Note that I did a full yum update, including kernel, prior to GA installation to be sure I had the latest core patches. )
ExploreBump

Post by ExploreBump »

Thanks, the developer release of VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-119175 worked on guest Debian 9.2.1 "Stretch"