[Solved] Error connecting to VRDP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
hitman53

[Solved] Error connecting to VRDP

Post by hitman53 »

Hi,

I have enabled Remote display on two of my virtual machines "Windows 10" and "Ubuntu 16.04" with ports 5001 and 5002 respectively. Both are under NAT mode. Base machine is running in Ubuntu 16.04. But I am unable to connect to these machines. It is throwing the error.

"ERROR:Connection Closed"

The ports 5000 and 5001 are in listening mode when I power up these VMs and I don't have any network issues in reaching the host machine from my client.

I even tried to connect the machines from my host itself, still I am getting the same error.

I also verified the traffic with Wireshark. The TCP handshake is through, but the connection is reset by the server immediately after the handshake.

Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Oct 2017, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Error connecting to VRDP

Post by Perryg »

Those ports are usually assigned to VNC and not vRDP. Are you using a distro fork of VirtualBox?
Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you've enabled the RDP server from the VM settings (the built-in VRDP), you need to open a connection to the host, not the guest. The guest can even have *no* network whatsoever and the VirtualBox RDP works. Because it's a host feature, not a guest one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hitman53

Post by hitman53 »

Perryg wrote:Those ports are usually assigned to VNC and not vRDP. Are you using a distro fork of VirtualBox?
Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
I have tried using different ports, still it's not working. Can you tell me what is meant by a "distro fork of VirtualBox"? I have installed virtualbox from the ubuntu repository using the package installer(apt-get). I also wanted to add that I have tried replicating the same scenario on a different system under the exact same IP address (to ensure that my network is not creating any problems) and it was working perfect. Please see the vlog.txt attachment for the guest log.

I have two systems of the same make and model and I am having problem with both systems. Please see the cpuinfo file for systems details. Now I assume the particular system is creating the problem. Does it has to do anything with BIOS setting or display setting?
Attachments
cpuinfo.txt
System Info
(1.34 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
vlog.txt
Log file
(116.84 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
hitman53

Post by hitman53 »

socratis wrote:If you've enabled the RDP server from the VM settings (the built-in VRDP), you need to open a connection to the host, not the guest. The guest can even have *no* network whatsoever and the VirtualBox RDP works. Because it's a host feature, not a guest one.
The ports are listening in the host. I also wanted to add that I have tried replicating the same scenario on a different system under the exact same IP address (to ensure that my network is not creating any problems) and it was working perfect.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

hitman53 wrote:Can you tell me what is meant by a "distro fork of VirtualBox"? I have installed virtualbox from the ubuntu repository using the package installer(apt-get).
VirtualBox VM 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 linux.amd64 (Apr 20 2017 06:58:05) release log
00:00:25.675193 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.16 r113841 '5.1.16_Ubuntu'
It looks like you're using the Ubuntu's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

On top of that, you have a mismatch between the Guest Additions (GAs). You should uninstall them and install the ones that come bundled with your main VirtualBox program. First purge/delete/remove the GAs in your guest and then you go to the menu: Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image... Follow the prompts after that.
00:00:00.435673 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:00.435699   VNC (Version: 5.0.40 r115130; VRDE Module: VBoxVNC)
00:00:00.435707   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.0.40 r115130; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
You have mixed the Ubuntu fork main program and the VNC Ext. Pack and the Oracle Ext. Pack. As I said above, you should stick to the official version only.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hitman53

Post by hitman53 »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THAT WORKED
Last edited by socratis on 27. Oct 2017, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].