mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

Post by michael »

As usual, please check if stopping all "VBoxClient --draganddrop" processes in the guest helps.
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Post by stephanecharette »

michael wrote:As usual, please check if stopping all "VBoxClient --draganddrop" processes in the guest helps.
I see zero files called "vboxclient" on the guest. Am I spelling it correctly?

Code: Select all

C:\>dir vboxclient*.* /s
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 3408-5801
File Not Found
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

stephanecharette wrote:I see zero files called "vboxclient" on the guest. Am I spelling it correctly?
That was for the Linux guest people.
stephanecharette
Volunteer

michael wrote:That was for the Linux guest people.
This is the problem with having merged all these forum posts yesterday. :( There is more than 1 problem going on. The fact that they have the word "mouse" in common isn't enough to merge the individual problems.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

My gut feeling says that it's Ubuntu 17.10. You're free to feel differently, but you have to provide some proof, as in test it under different circumstances and come with different results. I already gave you some ideas, feel free to improvise.

And there is more than a single "mouse" common to the problem. I gave you a whole list if I'm not mistaken ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I will try to summarise the various things reported to see if I have got the details right or not. Please try the suggestions in the mouse debugging wiki page[1], and users with Linux guests please try stopping the processes VBoxClient --draganddrop.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/MouseInput

@stevokm: Windows 10 64bit host, SUSE SLED12SP2 guest; with two screens no clicks seen by guest, works on host; with one screen sometimes wrong pointer offset in guest.

@ChristianS: Windows host, Ubuntu 17.10 guest; with two screens the mouse behaves strangely. Sounds like a position problem: Wayland does not make it easy to match up tablets (which is what we pretend to have) and multiple screens. Try setting up your guest screens with the first screen left of the right one with the top sides aligned.

@stephanecharette: Ubuntu 17.10 host, Windows guest; keys are not captured properly by the guest (known issue with Wayland I think, being worked on by the Wayland developers); after several hours of running the mouse stops reacting altogether, guest and host. Please try leaving evtest running on the host to see if it still reports movement.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

@stephanecharette are you actually using the default Wayland session on your Ubuntu 17.10 host? If so then you should probably be reporting a bug to Ubuntu: an application should not be able to freeze the host like that. Note that if you are using X11 there is also a known bug in X.Org which can trigger this. I have triggered it myself in the past without VirtualBox running. It happens occasionally when an application (in my case it was Unity) grabs a mouse button and persists until the application is terminated. I have an X.Org bug reference somewhere.
stephanecharette
Volunteer

michael wrote:@stephanecharette are you actually using the default Wayland session on your Ubuntu 17.10 host?
This computer does use the default Wayland. I can switch back to Unity, but in 6 months Unity will no longer be an option when 18.04 is released. Are we going to end up in a situation where VB will no longer run on Ubuntu when Unity is no longer supported?

If I go to Canonical and report this problem that only happens with VirtualBox, guess what they're going to tell me -- that I have to come over to Oracle/VirtualBox and report it.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

With Wayland one application should not be able to prevent other applications getting key events. This was one of Wayland's main selling points. So I think it would be reasonable to treat this as a bug in GNOME Shell/Wayland.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Actually, could you check to see whether pure Wayland applications are affected, or just X11 ones using XWayland?
ChristianS

Post by ChristianS »

This is still a problem for me. The Virtual Box Mouse Integration does still not work with Ubuntu 17.10 when I have two virtual screens (one works fine). There seems to be a strange offset on the mouse pointer. Without Mouse Integration it works fine on multiple screens but that has other drawbacks. Does anyone have a clue?
ChristianS

Post by ChristianS »

Today after upgrading to the latest VirtualBox and running the latest Guest Additions the problem is gone. It now works fine to run Ubuntu 17.10 on two virtual screens.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thanks ChristianS for the feedback, but please do not use "the latest version", in a couple of months it will be obsolete, and it's vital for the users to know which was the exact version that you stopped seeing the problem. Is it 5.1.30, 5.2.22 or the latest test builds? Please specify the exact version now and in the future.

I will wait a little bit longer for the other users to verify (or not) that the issue has been fixed before I mark this as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChristianS

Post by ChristianS »

Sorry for my quick post... The VirtualBox version is 5.2.2 r119230 (Qt5.6.2).
relentless-reign

Post by relentless-reign »

Current Version of VirtualBox: 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.2)
Current Version of Ubuntu: 17.10 (fully updated)

The problem I'm experiencing is the same as all of you. When running a 2 monitor guest (Ubuntu) hosted by a Windows 10 machine, the mouse no longer functions properly.

Full Description of Problem:
Mouse when being used in guest, is accepting clicks, however, they are offset. With 2 monitor setup, the mouse clicks are less offset (more accurate) as the mouse approaches the center of the monitors. (ie, the right side of the left monitor, and the left side of the right monitor.) Almost as if they are mirrored.

I have tried a vanilla install of Ubuntu 17.10 (fully updated as of the time of this post) This issue is still witnessed.
I have tried a vanilla install of Fedora 27 same setup of monitors and the issue is not present. This indicates that the issue is indeed a Ubuntu issue.

Potential solutions are the following, albeit, not the greatest.
1. Run single monitor.
2. Run dual monitors in full screen mode, with MOUSE INTEGRATION DISABLED.

NOTE: The second solution is OK, because after the mouse integration is turned off the mouse seems to be glitchy and less responsive.