mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
stevokm

mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

Post by stevokm »

Hi.
When i am boot up virtual machine with 2 virtual screens, the mouse click doesn't work. But when i disable and enable second virtual screen, the mouse works. Or maybe it works but clicks on a different point as the cursor is placed.

is same on 5.1 and 5.2

host windows 10 64bit, guest SUSE SLED12SP2
Attachments
log.zip
(24.15 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
ChristianS

Ubuntu 17.10 with two screens, mouse not working

Post by ChristianS »

I am a web developer and I have for a long time been running ubuntu in VirtualBox on Windows with two screens without any problems. Today after upgrade to ubuntu 17.10 this does not work anymore. The mouse behaves very strange as only a few of all GUI elements in the desktop reacts to the mouse clicks. I can for example not click the system menu (with power off, Wifi, etc) in the upper right corner and most (but not all) of the applications in the application bar can not be clicked. Nothing happens when you click. If I start Virtual Box with one screen everything works perfectly. Very annoying! I have tried to upgrade VirtualBox and Guest Additions and different screen combinations but nothing works.
jnb

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 with two screens, mouse not working

Post by jnb »

@ChristianS
I am not one of the experts here, but....

Firstly, if anything I suspect this would be a Linux Guest rather than a Windows Host question for VB. But there are other people reporting same for Ubuntu 17.10, apparently nothing to do with VB, e.g. see https://askubuntu.com/questions/966841/ ... r-on-top-o. , https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nome-17-10
ChristianS

Post by ChristianS »

Thanks @jnb, I will try the solution in the first link...
I also searched ubuntu forums but I did not find anything but you obviously did better googling than I... :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@ChristianS
If you do find the/a solution, please report back. In the meantime, moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts" as per the correct observation of @jnb.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChristianS

Post by ChristianS »

I have now got some time to investigate this a bit more and I think it is a problem with VirtualBox Mouse Integration. The mouse pointer is constantly clicking with a bit offset from the expected position and when I turn off Mouse integration then it works fine, but that is no good solution as I want to have the Virtual Box mouse integration enabled to easily be able to go to my 3rd screen on which I run my windows host.
Any solution appreciated!
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Mouse clicks stop working in host and guest

Post by stephanecharette »

I upgraded my host to Ubuntu 17.10 the same day I also upgraded to VirtualBox v5.2.0.

Since then, I've noticed that sometimes mouse clicks stop working. Both in the host and the guest! Very difficult to get work done when you can no longer click on buttons. ALT+F4 is captured by the host instead of the guest, so I cannot close down running applications. The Windows key on the keyboard is also captured by the host instead of the guest.

As soon as I manage to find a way to shut down the guest, then mouse clicks in the host work again.

I see two other posts describing possibly similar problems over the last few days [Mod edit: Topics have been merged into this one]

I have 3 monitors on my Ubuntu 17.10 host, and my guest is Windows 10 running full-screen on 2 monitors. Anyone have insight?
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Mouse clicks stop working in host and guest

Post by socratis »

stephanecharette wrote:I have 3 monitors on my Ubuntu 17.10 host, and my guest is Windows 10 running full-screen on 2 monitors. Anyone have insight?
Yes, a couple of thoughts. Every post has two screens running on two monitors full-screen (I might even merge them). Have you tried, just for kicks, to simplify the setup? Also, did you notice that in the second thread that you quoted, the problem is attributed to Ubuntu 17.10, even when run on the host? So, maybe it's 17.10 that has the multiple-screens issue. Give it a try with another guest. I did a quick test with a Win7 guest and it worked just fine...
 Edit: Posts have been merged 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
stephanecharette
Volunteer

socratis wrote:Every post has two screens running on two monitors full-screen (I might even merge them). Have you tried, just for kicks, to simplify the setup?
This setup cannot be simplified. The applications require a 2-monitor setup.
socratis wrote:Also, did you notice that in the second thread that you quoted, the problem is attributed to Ubuntu 17.10, even when run on the host? So, maybe it's 17.10 that has the multiple-screens issue. Give it a try with another guest.
There is no other guest to run. This is a commercial installation.
socratis wrote:I did a quick test with a Win7 guest and it worked just fine...
Yes, it runs just fine here as well. Until it doesn't. Sometimes it takes an hour before it fails. Sometimes it runs for 2 days before it fails. But once it fails, all mouse clicks in the host and the guest stop working until the guest is shut down.
stephanecharette
Volunteer

socratis wrote:
 Edit: Posts have been merged 
That's not a nice thing to do. :( The other post is about mouse click offset issues. My post is about mouse clicks in the host and the guest not working. While it is true both posts are about mouse click issues, they are definitely not the same thing. :(

And my problem is with a Linux host and Windows guest, while you've now merged my issue into the "Linux Guests" section of the forum.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

Post by socratis »

I can't do anything about the fact that you don't like the post merger, but I see the following:
  1. An Ubuntu 17.10, fresh out of the oven, not even a week old, released 2017-10-19.
  2. A two virtual screen guest setup.
  3. A two (or more) physical monitor setup, where the two-screen guest runs full screen.
  4. Mouse clicks being reported as gone missing.
  5. Setup failed when using VirtualBox 5.1.x and 5.2.x (at least one report).
  6. Ubuntu 17.10 being reported on having issues on multiple monitors running on real hardware.
That's more than enough justification to see a pattern here. If it turns out that you have a different issue, I'll split your posts gladly. For the moment, I'm afraid not. They look suspiciously similar to me...
stephanecharette wrote:This setup cannot be simplified. The applications require a 2-monitor setup.
So, you're telling me that you cannot install a fresh 17.10 Ubuntu guest and modify the setup to test if it's your host, your setup, your VirtualBox or your guest? Or at least downgrade to 5.1.x?
stephanecharette wrote:There is no other guest to run. This is a commercial installation.
So, you're telling me that you cannot try a live DVD of another guest? Like an Ubuntu 16.04.1/2/3 LTS?

I happen to have a 3-monitor setup, albeit on an OSX host. I'll try to see if I can reproduce the problem with Ubuntu 17.10 and VirtualBox 5.2.0, maybe even 5.1.2x. No guarantees although, the host might play a role in all of this. TBD...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

stephanecharette wrote:And my problem is with a Linux host and Windows guest, while you've now merged my issue into the "Linux Guests" section of the forum.
Moving to "Using VirtualBox", because I have the feeling that this is due to Ubuntu 17.04, both as a host and as a guest, until proven otherwise.
ChristianS

Post by ChristianS »

As I write above the error has something to do with the VirtualBox Mouse Integration in combination with Ubuntu 17.10 because when you turn off Mouse Integration the mouse works fine also on 17.10 with multiple screens.
stephanecharette
Volunteer

ChristianS wrote:As I write above the error has something to do with the VirtualBox Mouse Integration in combination with Ubuntu 17.10 because when you turn off Mouse Integration the mouse works fine also on 17.10 with multiple screens.
There is more to it than that, because turning off mouse integration does not solve the problem for me.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@stephanecharette
Yours is the host that's missing the mouse clicks. That's why the "mouse integration" doesn't really affect what you're seeing.

Still haven't had the time to test 17.10, but from the symptoms described so far, it seems to be losing mouse inputs. Why? I don't have the faintest idea. Yet...