Discuss the 5.2.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 5.2.0 release

Post by klaus »

Discuss the 5.2.0 release here.
You can download the release here.
It's a new minor release with additional features.
007-theguru

Latest VirtualBox Version Audio Lag In Game

Post by 007-theguru »

hello friends, we tried using virtual box version latest 5.2 with windows 10 installed, we usually play gta vice city in this system on vm but when we play it and shoot the audio dy-syncs with a 2 second sound lag. we tried changing the sound setting from intel HD Audio to another one but then we get no sound at all.

this issue is not in the version VirtualBox-5.1.18-114002 which we are using that does not have the sound issue at all.

can please investigate

Thx
Last edited by 007-theguru on 19. Oct 2017, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 5.2.0 release

Post by socratis »

@007-theguru
I merged your post in the "Discuss the 5.2.0 release". You'll have better chances of having the issue looked at...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hurtavy

Post by hurtavy »

Windows 8.1. After Virtualbox 5.2.0 instalation is the sounds lag in Black Desert Online on host system
robatino

Post by robatino »

With a Linux guest, I'm getting errors/warnings even when installing Guest Additions for the 4.13 kernel, which had been fixed in earlier VBox versions (see https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17080#comment:6 ). As stated in the comment, I don't even know if the GA are being installed.
Poul

5.2: Bridged networking to WIRELESS no longer works

Post by Poul »

For many years I have used bridged networking to my Wireless Network Card (with differnet computers). It worked fine in 5.1.30. Now it has stopped working. I haven't changed any settings.
However if I bridge to my WIRED Card (and connect it wired), it still Works.
Guest and host are both Windows 10 home. Wireless Card is: Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260.
Attachments
VBox.zip
VBox.log
(37.4 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
RonSMeyer1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Windows 10 - Win XP - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Post by RonSMeyer1 »

I've had to back off 5.2. I have a Linux Mint 18.2 Host and a Mint 18.2 guest that I use for work. 3D acceleration does not work in the guest. When it starts the background flashes for half a second and then everything goes black. The mouse cursor is invisible, the panels are invisible. But strangely the Mint welcome screen can be seen. But you can't click on anything. If 3D is turned off it seems fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Poul
You might want to check out the conversation: bridged networking 5.2.0 issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Enaj

Windows install file corrupt or is it just me?

Post by Enaj »

Hello,

I tried to install the new release (5.2.0) on my Windows 10 OS. First, I ran the .exe file but it gave me an error while running installation about a corrupt cabinet file. So I compared the SHA256 checksums and they did not match. So next, I tried redownloading but same problem. I am using Chrome so I switched to Edge browser...same issue with unmatching checksums.

Then, I tried downloading 5.1.30 and the checksums matched. Should I just install this other version or is there a way I can install the new release. I haven't used VirtualBox in a year and got a new computer so I'd rather install the latest...
robatino

Re: Windows install file corrupt or is it just me?

Post by robatino »

By far the most common cause of corrupted downloads is a truncated file. To avoid this, try using a command-line tool like wget instead of a browser. The following page also has a solution using PowerShell (I haven't tried it, I use wget). A good download tool will tell you the exact size in bytes of the complete file when it starts the download, so you'll know if you have the entire file.

https://superuser.com/questions/25538/h ... t-is-doing

Edit: Just to make sure the file is okay on the server, I downloaded VirtualBox-5.2.0-118431-Win.exe (using wget) and the SHA256 matches. The exact size of the file is 114075992 bytes.
Last edited by socratis on 23. Oct 2017, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Enaj

Post by Enaj »

@ robatino,

Thank you so much for your help. I tried PowerShell's Invoke-WebRequest to download the file. The file size was correct, but the SHA256 checksums didn't match. So frustrating... :?

I finally decided to log on to my university's linux server and downloaded it from there using Putty and wgets. I then used WinSCP to download it locally. I already had Putty and WinSCP since we use them quite a bit for my courses. And, guess what? It worked, the checksums matched! Yay!

I am just super annoyed that I had to go about it in such a round-a-bout way. What irks me is that I don't know why it wouldn't download correctly straight to my computer. Just to double-check, I checked the hash again locally to make sure it was still correct (and it is)... I will install tomorrow and give an update.

Again, thank you for the wgets idea :)
robatino

Post by robatino »

Enaj wrote: Thank you so much for your help. I tried PowerShell's Invoke-WebRequest to download the file. The file size was correct, but the SHA256 checksums didn't match. So frustrating... :?
It's disturbing that you had the full file but the checksum didn't match anyway. That's never happened to me. You might have some sort of hardware problem on your machine, maybe your HDD or RAM. You might want to run a few passes of a memory tester such as memtest86+ to check the RAM. I don't know offhand how to check for other issues.

Edit: My first guess is that it's probably not the RAM, since if it was bad enough to cause corruption most of the time on a 100M file, your machine would probably be crashing constantly, but it's worth checking anyway. If you're lucky, it might be a networking issue and not a problem in the machine itself.
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

The latest test build of 5.2 118425 is in the 'development' section of 'test builds' https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds whereas, because 5.2 is a release it should be in test builds section and this should be renamed 'latest 5.2 test builds'. j
clloyd

VM settings is unresponsive

Post by clloyd »

After upgrading to 5.2, I can't change VM settings nor Manager's preferences. Both windows will become unresponsive after a few seconds with high CPU usage (>50%). The Manager will also become unresponsive if I open those setting windows.

I also cannot export appliance to 5.1.8. When I try to import it, it shows "Unrecognized OS".
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: VM settings is unresponsive

Post by michaln »

clloyd wrote:After upgrading to 5.2, I can't change VM settings nor Manager's preferences.
Does that happen with every host OS VirtualBox supports, or just the one you tried? If the latter, would you mind mentioning which one it was?
I also cannot export appliance to 5.1.8. When I try to import it, it shows "Unrecognized OS".
Is that an OS 5.1.8 is expected to recognize?