no net command in freedos

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
paparucino

no net command in freedos

Post by paparucino »

Hi guys,
Ive installed freedos as guest in a linux machine. I created a shared connection between linux and freedos. the popup window in the shared options says: use "net...." . If I try to use the net command in freedos I get "net command not found" so there is no way to share the two machines files.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: no net command in freedos

Post by Perryg »

Impossible to tell without the full command but even that may not help since you state the guest says "command not found" http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/ ... S_complete
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Why does the lack of a command in a specific OS mean that it's a VirtualBox issue? VirtualBox provides the "hardware", not the OS that is running on top of the hardware. Having said that, there are a couple of FAQs that you can try:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
paparucino

Post by paparucino »

What I read in vbox shared windows is: Lists all shared folder accessible to this machine. Use 'net x: \\vboxsvr\share' to access a shared folder form DOS-like OS or .....(linux mount)'.
This said could someone explain to me why should I use other commands and why the missing of net is not a freedos problem?

Thank you in advance
papa
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

paparucino wrote:could someone explain ... why the missing of net is not a freedos problem?
It IS a FreeDOS problem. It just isn't a VirtualBox problem, and these are the VirtualBox forums.

Your FreeDOS question would be the same if the FreeDOS image was installed on another VM platform or on a physical PC. That means that being inside a VirtualBox VM has no bearing on the question.

In fact I don't believe you even have a FreeDOS problem, I suspect that you probably just don't know how to set the DOS search path properly. However, teaching you to use FreeDOS is a tad beyond the scope of this website, so you really ought to ask your questions on a FreeDOS site.