[Solved] Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Petr Vones
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

[Solved] Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

Post by Petr Vones »

After upgrade from Creators Update virtual video driver no longer works. The guest keeps fixed resolution and does not dynamically resize to actual VirtualBox client window size. 2D acceleration is enabled, 3D disabled. No crash or error.

Note I use older version 5.1.26 but haven't noticed any fix related to it in change log. I already tried to reinstall the Guest Additions. Log file attached. I can update to 5.1.30 (if there is confirmed fix) but I usually wait for a while to update to latest version :-)
Attachments
VBox.zip
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Oct 2017, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

Post by socratis »

Petr Vones wrote:I can update to 5.1.30 (if there is confirmed fix) but I usually wait for a while to update to latest version :-)
I didn't notice that attitude towards Windows... ;)
Fall Creators update just came out, like 10 hours ago. VirtualBox came out more like 24 hours ago, so you can't expect a software that is 14 hours older, to support an OS that is 14 hours younger, right? ;)

But seriously, please install 5.1.30, or 5.2.0 rc1+ (Development snapshots, bottom of the page) and see if it helps. Feedback as always appreciated...

BTW, what's the build number for the 1709 update?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I just upgraded two host machines to version 1709 and it had no effect whatever on the VirtualBox vms. I had even left them is a saved state and they just started up fine. Upgrading the vms also works painlessly for me.

They are running under VirtualBox 5.1.30 with the 5.1.30 GAs.

The build number of the release version of Windows 10 version 1709 is 16299.15 (or 16299.19 if you check for updates during install).

The Microsoft website Windows 10 media download has already been updated to the new version.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BillG wrote:I just upgraded two host machines to version 1709
We're in the Windows Guests section Bill ;). The OP is running a Win10 guest on a Win7 host. It's the guest that's failing...

It's good to know that a Win10 host doesn't have any problems, that's good news, although I have to admit that there was a post by "Jacob Klein" on 2017-10-03 (two weeks ago) in the Windows pre-releases section, that was declaring Windows 10 Build 16299.15 a success story. Even build 17017 works according to Jacob. That's why I asked for the build number, to know how far ahead this thing has progressed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Petr Vones
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by Petr Vones »

socratis wrote: But seriously, please install 5.1.30
I can confirm that 5.1.30 version (including GA of course) resolved the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
broadaxe

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

Post by broadaxe »

Uhmmm... I just upgraded a Windows 10 guest to the Fall creators update, and I am experiencing this issue; the display no longer adapts to the size of the screen in the guest. I am running VB version 5.2.0 r118431 on a Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703. Any ideas? I did reinstall the guest additions in the hopes that it would solve the display issue, and these quest additions are the ones that match the current VB version.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Re-install the Guest Additions. You'll have to do that every time there's a major Windows update; either on the host or on the guest.
Advicer

Post by Advicer »

socratis wrote:Re-install the Guest Additions. You'll have to do that every time there's a major Windows update; either on the host or on the guest.
This doesn't work. I've just got the Fall Creators update on the VM, reinstalled Guest Addition, and the display resolution is 1400x1050 instead of 1920x1080.
Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Advicer
Please open a new thread. Do not post in a thread that's already marked as [Solved} two months ago. And please post a ZIPPED VBox.log for your VM.

Start the VM (from a complete shutdown, not paused, not saved), login, shutdown the VM (not paused, not saved). Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, Show Log. Save the 1st one ONLY, ZIP it and attach it to the new thread that you're going to open, since I'm going to lock this one.