Discuss the 5.1.30 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Discuss the 5.1.30 release

Post by socratis »

Discuss the 5.1.30 release here.
You can download the release here.
Mainly a regression-fix release for 5.1.28.
BrianG61UK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, DOS, Linux

Re: Discuss the 5.1.30 release

Post by BrianG61UK »

BrianG61UK wrote:
BrianG61UK wrote:I use a Windows 7 64 bit host to run VirtualBox 5.1.28.
I'm running 32 bit Windows 7 in a VM.
I noticed this evening that Network "Bridged Adapter" isn't working right, I can't download anything from inside the VM though ping seems to work fine.
Possibly it's since installing the WIndows updates today.
I've changed to "NAT" for now.
I've fixed it by updating the driver for the network card on the host PC.
I must have previously updated it to a buggy version.
No, apparently that's not the explanation.
Something bizarre is going on.
I have absolutely no idea what I did that suddenly made it start working.
In fact now I have upgraded to 5.1.30 and fiddled around uninstalling stuff, reinstalling stuff but it just won't work in bridged mode so as before I'm reverting to NAT.
Attached: Log file and configuration.
Windows 7 (32 bit) Bridge fail.zip
Log file and configuration
(73.48 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.007156 Network <string>  = "HostInterfaceNetworking-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" (cb=59)
Is that a wired interface or a wireless one? I believe it's a wired one, but please confirm.
BrianG61UK wrote:I can't download anything from inside the VM though ping seems to work fine.
If you can ping your gateway, if you can ping 8.8.8.8, if you can ping google.com, VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

socratis wrote:
00:00:02.007156 Network <string>  = "HostInterfaceNetworking-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" (cb=59)
Is that a wired interface or a wireless one? I believe it's a wired one, but please confirm.
Yes Wired.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

socratis wrote:
BrianG61UK wrote:I can't download anything from inside the VM though ping seems to work fine.
If you can ping your gateway, if you can ping 8.8.8.8, if you can ping google.com, VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc.
Seems unlikely that such things could break Bridged mode while leaving NAT working okay, but I'll have a think.
I might also try going back to VB 5.1.26 just in case. I didn't before because I found it hard to believe it hadn't been working right back to when I installed 5.1.28, but maybe it could have been.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

socratis wrote:If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
This appears on only one of your responses. If it's addressed to me then I'm afraid I'm confused by it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's my signature.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

I've been replying with the Quote button, have I been doing it wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, actually you've been using the Quote button wisely. It's mostly for people that want to say a "me too" and they quote the first 3 chapters of "War and Peace" blindly from the previous message, when they don't want to actually quote specific parts of the message. You've been quoting selected questions/issues/passages, which is the proper way of quoting something. ;)
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote:No, actually you've been using the Quote button wisely. It's mostly for people that want to say a "me too" and they quote the first 3 chapters of "War and Peace" blindly from the previous message, when they don't want to actually quote specific parts of the message. You've been quoting selected questions/issues/passages, which is the proper way of quoting something. ;)
What do you mean? 8)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Simply perfect Lou! Touché!!!
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

lol thanks
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
DrWhoZee

5.1.30 VirtualBox Extension Pack now noncommercial use!

Post by DrWhoZee »

socratis wrote:... Mainly a regression-fix release for 5.1.28.
One thing worth noting is, that with the 5.1.30 release the wording of the PUEL license changed and now restricts the VirtualBox Extension Pack to noncommercial use. Which for some users will be a show-stopper. Up until and including 5.1.28 that restriction was not part of the PUEL license.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@DrWhoZee
You have already posted a couple of posts in another thread (using virtual box in company pc). Just because your question was really specific to the 5.1.30 installation (and I'm guessing future ones), I split your question and the subsequent answers and gave it its own thread, PUEL no longer allowing commercial use with VB extension pack 5.1.30. In fact you picked the title yourself in your answer...

Please continue the discussion there, do not duplicate your posts and our answers. Just a link to that specific discussion should be sufficient...
mhannah

Post by mhannah »

I updated from 5.1.28 to 5.1.30 and now virtualbox can't see any USB devices. The host is windows 10 and the guests is windows XP Pro.
Any idea what could be wrong? USB is checked and enabled in the settings.