network connection fast with NAT and slow with BRIDGED

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
marcuso

network connection fast with NAT and slow with BRIDGED

Post by marcuso »

Hi all, I am creating a Windows 2016 server standard guest on a Windows 10 host with VB 5.1.22 (later it will be moved to a 2008 server host). The problem is the network connection, fast with NAT (80 MB/s) and very slow with BRIDGED (<2 MB/s). I tried all types of network types under the advanced chapter.
Any ideas???

Thanks in advance
Marcus
marcuso

Re: network connection fast with NAT and slow with BRIDGED

Post by marcuso »

Maybe I should be more precise, in bridged more the VM gets its IP via DHCP, pinging the gateway results in about 8 succeeds and 2-3 failures frequency (pinging about 4 minutes). Firewall is inactive.
Thanks for ideas.
marcus
marcuso

Post by marcuso »

I discovered that pinging the host works normally (because it's direct?)... :oops:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Do your speed measurements come solely from the pinging times? Or are you talking about download speeds from a well known source, something like another computer in your local network?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RWorth

Post by RWorth »

We have a problem with the 5.1.28 version of VirtualBox that was not an issue in 5.1.26 that may be related to this topic. We verified this by taking a system that was working normally when communicating with a virtual machine in 5.1.26 and confirmed that it is slow after the upgrade to 5.1.28.

We are using a Bridged network and the network communication from the virtual machine to a external computer on the network became VERY slow, to the point that the client device is almost unusable when doing things that make heavy use of the network.

NOTE: This network slowness does not seem to affect all devices the same, some are VERY slow while others seem normal.
CAD bloke
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7-10

Post by CAD bloke »

I had a similar issue with bridged networking being slow between Windows 7 host and guests for v 5.2.16 & 5.2.18, the guest connection to the internet was fast but slow to the host. I resolved it by using 2x adapters, one NAT & 1 bridged. Not sure why it worked but it did. Perhaps it is because I have upgraded vBox over the years and something weird got baked into the network config.

What you don't want to do is remove or disable the existing network adapter because the MAC address is commonly used for software license activations.