Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Santiago92

Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Post by Santiago92 »

ModEdit

Specifically for VirtualBox 6.0.8 on OSX 10.4.5, see "installation fails for vbox 6.0.8 on osx 10.14.5".

The majority of the problems on 10.13.x, 10.14.x is solved by following the Apple Documentation: User-Approved Kernel Extension Loading. In summary:

• If your installation fails, you might not get prompted to go to the Security settings. No one knows why it does/doesn't work.
  • Reboot your computer, retry the installation.
  • After the installation fails, go to the System Preferences » Security » General, and "Allow Oracle" to install kernel extensions.
  • Retry the installation.

This thread is NOT about VirtualBox on 10.14 beta. There is a another thread in the pre-releases section: 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805). The issue has been FIXED with the latest Apple betas and the latest VirtualBox versions.

This thread is NOT about VirtualBox on a remotely controlled OSX. There is a another thread about that: 10.13 Failing installation; Kernel driver not loaded.

Greetings to all, I am trying to install VirtualBox on my iMac and it keeps failing right at the end of the installation process. I have tried the installation several times after using the Uninstall tool included in the package but it keeps failing each time. Tried Googling for an answer but don't seem to fin anything on this topic. Tried several different search terms.

It does not complete the installation and I get an error message during the installation and although the application is installed when I want to start a virtual machine I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 
I would like to know if there is a solution to this problem and thanks in advance.

PD.
SO: macOS High Sierra
VS: 10.13
Processor: 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 16GB
Last edited by socratis on 13. Nov 2019, 08:45, edited 10 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

Open a Terminal. Give the following command (you can triple-click to copy and paste it in the Terminal):
system_profiler -detailLevel mini > system_profiler.txt; kextstat | grep -v com.apple >> system_profiler.txt; gzip system_profiler.txt
That will create a "system_profiler.txt.gz" file in the current directory (default is your home directory). Attach that file to your response.

Also:
  1. Download the latest release (5.1.26 as of this writing), or the latest test build (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds).
  2. Reboot.
  3. Mount the DMG from step #1. Run "VirtualBox_Uninistall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. Reboot.
  4. Install "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  5. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open Console.app and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log? ZIP and attach that file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
strong dad

Post by strong dad »

Did everything you said. Still unable to install.

[MOD EDIT: Deleted 'vmware-vmx-2316.log.zip', an invalid corrupted ZIP file.]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@'strong dad'
The ZIP file that you attached was corrupted. Furthermore, the name 'vmware-vmx-2316.log' looks like a VMWare log. And finally when looked at with a hex editor it contains words such as 'bookmars', 'Users/jon/Library/Logs/VMWare/vmware-vmx-2316.log'.

Are you sure you're in the right forums? These are the VirtualBox forums, not the VMWare forums...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Peklo

Post by Peklo »

Sadly, I have the same problem, including now re-install of the latest build fails. Something to do with the latest Beta of High Sierra V10.13 (build 17A344b) aka Version 6.
On start of a headless virtual machine I get:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu-16.04LTS - dev.

The virtual machine 'ubuntu-16.04LTS - dev' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
On a normal start as well

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 

The logs as requested are attached.
Attachments
VirtualBoxVM_2017-08-17-193138_Petr-iMac.txt
(52.03 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
system_profiler.txt.gz
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Installer Log 17-Aug-2017.txt
(13.13 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Are you running VirtualBox in an OS X guest? This sounds like something for the VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases forum.
Peklo

Post by Peklo »

Just a quick update:
Issue has been resolved with the VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-OSX 23-09-52-950 and removing USB port from the VM.
bcassid

Post by bcassid »

I'm getting this same error trying to install 5.1.28 or 5.1.29 on macOS 10.13 High Sierra. I've attached a zip file of the installer and crash logs. Any help greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Vbox.zip
(102.75 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
chipbutty

Post by chipbutty »

Same issue for me running 5.1.28 on my MacBook and High Sierra.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Last edited by ChipMcK on 1. Oct 2017, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This does not belong to the "OSX Guests". Moving to "OSX Hosts".
chipbutty

Post by chipbutty »

Thanks. Yes I did eventually get this sorted out. When I first installed VB I got the message about allowing Oracle in the Privacy settings. I allowed Oracle in the settings, rebooted but still had no joy running VB. It took another three uninstalls before the Allow box would appear again in Privacy. This time clicking on Allow and rebooting worked! A case of third time lucky and I'm sure the fault lies with High Sierra.

I'm now going to attempt to get it working on my late 2015 iMac running El Capitan.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

chipbutty wrote:A case of third time lucky and I'm sure the fault lies with High Sierra.
Do you know that they issued 10.13.1beta 5 days after they released 10.13? Guess why? I suppose that they telephone center went down from the volumes of complaints that they got in 5 days... :(
chipbutty

Post by chipbutty »

I tend not keep up with OS versions too often but last week I decided to ready my El Capitan iMac for Sierra (I'm always way behind) by creating a clone of my hard drive. I was then browsing the web later in the day only to hear of this new thing called High Sierra! Fortunately I already have the Sierra download. Perhaps I'll stick with El Capitan or Sierra until HS is stable.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Oct 2017, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sounds like a good plan. I'm always a couple of major versions behind. You know what I do when I want to test the waters? I use a VM... ;)