VirtualBox fails to run on macOS High Sierra - kernel driver not loaded

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dpattayath

VirtualBox fails to run on macOS High Sierra - kernel driver not loaded

Post by dpattayath »

Mod edit
Please to install the 10.13 Supplemental update that came out on 2017-10-05, it "Improves installer robustness" (whatever that means) which might resolve the problem. Feedback is appreciated...

Hi,

I updated my OS version to MacOS High Sierra this morning and couldn't run virtual box since then. I tried re-installing but no luck.
My installation of Virtual Box, failed without any specific message and after trying to load the VM throws me a "Kernal not loaded" error.

I tried to work out various solutions posted on forums including "restarting Virtualbox under /Library/StartupItems, but there is no "VirutalBox" exists under StartupItems.

Regards
Dileep Pattayath
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Virtualbox fails to run on macOS High Sierra - kernel driver not loaded

Post by michaln »

dpattayath wrote:I updated my OS version to MacOS High Sierra this morning and couldn't run virtual box since then.
That is obviously something you need to talk to Apple about.
My installation of Virtual Box, failed without any specific message and after trying to load the VM throws me a "Kernal not loaded" error.
I'm sure the message is different but I think I know what you mean.

Please read this document from Apple. If you did not get the dialog shown in Figure 1, you need to complain to Apple. If you did, you need to read what it says, and if you want to run VirtualBox, you need to do what it tells you.
dpattayath

Post by dpattayath »

Yeah, talking to Apple sounds like a promising solution. Anyway, I got a better one for now and fixed the issue.

The document @michaln mentioned in his reply explains, why its not working and lead to possible solution. Thanks for that :-)

Even after giving approval (as per the above document says), It didn't work. Still said "installation failed" at the end of the process without any specific message and while trying to load a Vm, showed the message "Kernel extension not loaded...".

So this is what I did to get around this:

1. Created a kext entry under /Library/Extensions with the name "VirtualBox.kext" (Please note this is a directory).
2. Copied the "Contents" folder from "Show package Contents" of VirtualBox to the above directory.
3. Rebooted my machine and hurray!! its working.

I know this may not be a clean solution but interim and will definitely get you going till Oracle adds the ability to handle "User Approved Firmware extension" with a graceful approval prompt or something like that.

Regards
Dileep Pattayath
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

dpattayath wrote:Even after giving approval (as per the above document says), It didn't work. Still said "installation failed" at the end of the process without any specific message and while trying to load a Vm, showed the message "Kernel extension not loaded...".
That shouldn't happen. After the kext is approved -- actually, what's really approved is the Team ID (vendor, more or less) of the kext -- the installer should not fail when re-run. Conversely if the kext is blocked, it should be blocked regardless of which directory it's loaded from.

Note that the approval is a one-time action and reinstalling VirtualBox should not need new approval, unless the Team ID changes (not at all likely).
bcassid

Post by bcassid »

I tried that, but it didn't work for me. I still got the same error. When you say to create a kext entry, do you mean a regular folder? I did that and copies the contents folder from the VirtualBox application contents to the folder, but when I named it VirtualBox.kext, it shows up as an application. Sounds like I may be doing something wrong. Any ideas about how to get this working are greatly appreciated!
dpattayath wrote:Yeah, talking to Apple sounds like a promising solution. Anyway, I got a better one for now and fixed the issue.

The document @michaln mentioned in his reply explains, why its not working and lead to possible solution. Thanks for that :-)

Even after giving approval (as per the above document says), It didn't work. Still said "installation failed" at the end of the process without any specific message and while trying to load a Vm, showed the message "Kernel extension not loaded...".

So this is what I did to get around this:

1. Created a kext entry under /Library/Extensions with the name "VirtualBox.kext" (Please note this is a directory).
2. Copied the "Contents" folder from "Show package Contents" of VirtualBox to the above directory.
3. Rebooted my machine and hurray!! its working.

I know this may not be a clean solution but interim and will definitely get you going till Oracle adds the ability to handle "User Approved Firmware extension" with a graceful approval prompt or something like that.

Regards
Dileep Pattayath
AALLeeXX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

Post by AALLeeXX »

Well, here not even noticed by MacOs of the opening prevention so no chance to accept anything...
Then I also try creating the kext as Dileep suggested but I couldn't make it either.
Just to confirm, what I did (slightly different)
1. Created a kext entry under /Library/Extensions with the name "VirtualBox" (Please note this is a directory).
3. Rename the "VirtualBox" folder into "VirtualBox.kext" (which become not browsable after renaming)
4. Rebooted my machine and NO hurray :(

I wonder if it should not be started differently ? Use the same app ? Another way ?

And finally, what will be the fix, will it come from Oracle or from Apple ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure if this procedure will work 100%, and here's why: you're trying to outsmart Apple's security mechanisms. Unpacking the application and its components manually does not automatically allow the extension's developers to get in the "accepted" list. Going to the System Preferences will. So, try again the installation and follow the instructions from Apple (https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... index.html).

I found the issue since the first 10.13 betas, and it worked fine in several VMs and several versions, trust me.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AALLeeXX
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

Post by AALLeeXX »

I understood that chances to get Dileep's method working was more or less random but it was worth giving it a try.
In my case however, I upgraded from High Sierra public betas to High Sierra GM and then to latest beta (10.13.1), without reinstalling Virtual box, since, for me, it kept working until that latest beta (I'm not sure it did on the GM, I had no time to test it on the GM....).
So, since still blocked now, I tried to re install VB as you advised... but unfortunately, that failed ! Thus, I tried a clean deinstallation (using the provided script in the DMG, removing the app and clearing the trash bin) with a restart. Once the mac was "clean of Virtualbox", I tried again re installing it, but I'm still facing the same error at the end of installation. Few information are provided, just that an error occurred preventing the installation to complete and that's it ! No error code, no detail... During this installation, no specific prompt from the Os about security, just password confirmation prompts...
In spite of this error in the summary sheet of the setup, the icon is available and the app is there. I tried it, but again, faces the same error with kernel:

Code: Select all

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsinst what: 3
VER_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908)
- The support driver is not intalled. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
So, as of now, it's very confusing whether Virtual box (5.1.28) in installed properly or not on my mac :?
Any hint here ?

EDIT:
I found a long thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52406) discussing it and offering a solution - unloading and reloadin the kext, but in my case the ?Library?Extensions folder has no VB extension ...

Thanks in advance...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something is not standard on your system. Either you've been messing with it, installing software that is interfering with the installer (think antivirus, system locks), or something that I haven't figured out.

The thing is that in a clean system, there has never been a problem. I've been installing and uninstalling VirtualBox like crazy for years on real systems and on OSX VMs (for testing). Not even once did I have a problem. So, please try to think what separates your system with a clean system. Start with the output of:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple
ls -al /
ls -al /private/tmp/
ls -al /Library/Extensions/
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Maxeed

Re: Virtualbox fails to run on macOS High Sierra - kernel driver not loaded - RESOLVED

Post by Maxeed »

Hi,
just want to share this:

Problem: Unable to install Virtualbox on freshly installed High Sierra

Cause: new Sierra policy requires user to accept every new loaded kext file from Control Panel / Security

Error (in install log):

2017-10-02 01:14:01+02 MacBookPro installd[611]: ./postflight: /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
When loading kext manually:

sudo kextload '/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext'
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Solution:
Install Virtualbox-
Manually load all Virtualbox Kext in /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/ (sudo kextload fileName), it will initially fail, after the error go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and click Authorise.
Repeat
Do one more install (no need to uninstall) until it completes successfully
Install Box extensions (no need to do any extra steps)

Alternative

Install pkg -> fail
Authorise in System Preferences
Reinstall pkg -> fail
Authorise in System Preferences

repeat until successful

Hope it helps until Oracle or Apple finds a solution
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you Maxeed for the post, but that's where the links to the Apple website point to. And you do not have to do a manual load of the kernel or anything like that. Simply re-installing VirtualBox will trigger that security warning in the System Preferences. It's already been told in previous posts, as well as in the links that we've been sending people to.

But this security problem that is easily solvable; re-install VirtualBox. The "kernel is not loading" error was there before 10.13 (since 2012 if you follow the other link) and the logs point to something failing in the postflight script. And it usually has to do with systems that they've been manually altered.

The manual tinkering with kexts is hocus pocus, and quite frankly a seriously dangerous advice. If you want to screw your system, you're free, but VirtualBox has serious security measures in place to not let you work with it after that. So, with a screwed system, no more VirtualBox. Simple...
Maxeed

Post by Maxeed »

Thank you Socratis, but I am a bit perplexed by your note, particularly by your language.
I am sorry, but I need to correct you.
Thank you Maxeed for the post, but that's where the links to the Apple website point to. And you do not have to do a manual load of the kernel or anything like that. Simply re-installing VirtualBox will trigger that security warning in the System Preferences. It's already been told in previous posts, as well as in the links that we've been sending people to.

But this security problem that is easily solvable; re-install VirtualBox.
Thank you, but it took me a while to figure out the issue using Google. My understanding is that High Sierra enforces manual kext approval.
This is something new, and I didn't know that. Virtualbox was working after the upgrade to HS, but I decided to format my Mac and reinstall a clean copy of MacOS, that's where the problem started.
However, it is not just a reinstall. You need to install, approve, reinstall, approve, etc, until all the extensions are approved.

The "kernel is not loading" error was there before 10.13 (since 2012 if you follow the other link) and the logs point to something failing in the postflight script.
VirtualBox kernel extensions not loading is a problem that may occur during installation, it has been there since there's a Virtualbox for Mac, for many different reasons.
The logs are not pointing to "something falling" in the posflight script. They tell exactly what is falling.
In this specific case, a change in the High Sierra security policies now requires the manual approval of every new kernel extensions.

The technical part could end here but...
it usually has to do with systems that they've been manually altered. The manual tinkering with kexts is hocus pocus, and quite frankly a seriously dangerous advice.
Loading a kernel extension manually is not tinkering, and it is far from magical hocus pocus.
I was simply trying to understand why the extension was not loaded, and sharing the output of the command here will help other people in a similar situation when they google the actual error.
If you want to screw your system, you're free, but VirtualBox has serious security measures in place to not let you work with it after that. So, with a screwed system, no more VirtualBox. Simple...
WOW, so, let me get this straight:
Screwing my system (literally?) is free. But Virtualbox has "serious security", very puritan "no-screwing under my hood" measures in place. It is beyond my imagination how this could even be remotely possible.

A proper translation of your sentence is:
Virtualbox has a complex integration with MacOS, and custom low level modification of the OS may prevent its kernel extensions to properly load, making VirtualBox unable to function properly.
Thank you, but this is not my case.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Maxeed wrote:You need to install, approve, reinstall, approve, etc, until all the extensions are approved.
Please read the tech note from Apple. Once a developer is approved they don't ever need to be approved again, and certainly not for every extension or every app. Just a single installation and a single approval will suffice.
Maxeed wrote:The logs are not pointing to "something falling" in the posflight script. They tell exactly what is falling.
I was referring to the kernel-not-loading until 10.13. They do fail in the postflight script, no reason given. That's when the copying happens to the appropriate directories. The 10.13 failure very clearly states the why in the installer logs. That's why it makes it easier to diagnose. The previous ones were a really complicated and tedious process. I've been troubleshooting other users' installation failures for years, trust me, it's not easy at all to figure out the point of failure. It's trial and error.
Maxeed wrote:Loading a kernel extension manually is not tinkering, and it is far from magical hocus pocus.
When you have a perfectly good installer which works for the 99% of the users that have not tinkered with their systems, it is. It is REALLY BAD advice. For example, when you copy the files, will you set the setuid bit? I don't think so. The installer does.
Maxeed wrote:Screwing my system (literally?) is free. But Virtualbox has "serious security", very puritan "no-screwing under my hood" measures in place. It is beyond my imagination how this could even be remotely possible.
I'm not even sure I understand what you're saying here. As I said, VirtualBox has really strict internal rules on where and how to load. On OSX and Linux it's much easier to enforce, because they are based on ownership and permissions of specific directories and files. But if those have been messed with manually, it will simply refuse to work. And since people don't usually mess with the permissions/ownership of the root, usr, bin or private directories, that's why it's hard to diagnose the failure to load.
gregopad39

Post by gregopad39 »

I can concur this is indeed a problem. The update to the new version of Virtual Box ended my usability. It will not start.
I have a pristine system without adulteration.

The vendor needs to provide a workaround.

Process:               VirtualBox [1058]
Path:                  /Users/USER/Desktop/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox
Identifier:            org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBox
Version:               5.1.22 (5.1.22)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           VirtualBox [1058]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2017-10-01 21:26:10.874 -0500
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.12.6 (16G29)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        F3C8FBCB-AB7A-E382-6A58-28EED75A9AA6

Time Awake Since Boot: 2000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBDISPATCH: Assertion failed: Block was expected to execute on queue [com.apple.main-thread]
crashed on child side of fork pre-exec

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00007fff8d629a3f _dispatch_assert_queue_fail + 99
1   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00007fff8d622150 dispatch_assert_queue + 155
2   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff75874c33 -[NSPersistentUIRestorer restoreStateFromRecords:usingDelegate:completionHandler:] + 192
3   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff75fc8569 -[NSPersistentUIManager restoreAllPersistentStateWithCompletionHandler:] + 272
4   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff7557fa92 -[NSApplication _reopenWindowsAsNecessaryIncludingRestorableState:completionHandler:] + 368
5   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff7557f80c -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleAEOpenEvent:] + 539
6   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff7557f46b -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleCoreEvent:withReplyEvent:] + 661
7   com.apple.Foundation          	0x00007fff794e2afd -[NSAppleEventManager dispatchRawAppleEvent:withRawReply:handlerRefCon:] + 290
8   com.apple.Foundation          	0x00007fff794e2977 _NSAppleEventManagerGenericHandler + 102
9   com.apple.AE                  	0x00007fff788e6f26 aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned int, unsigned char*) + 544
10  com.apple.AE                  	0x00007fff788e6c9d dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 39
11  com.apple.AE                  	0x00007fff788e6ba9 aeProcessAppleEvent + 312
12  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff76ff2ddf AEProcessAppleEvent + 55
13  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff7557ad1d _DPSNextEvent + 1833

Aurora-6:~ grego$ kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
  141    3 0xffffff7f83f4d000 0x61000    0x61000    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (5.1.22) 93316754-E074-3CE2-9464-DDA4356FF02E <7 5 4 3 1>
  143    0 0xffffff7f83fae000 0x8000     0x8000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (5.1.22) D956DCFA-4E4F-320A-BEBC-E4823501B1FF <142 141 42 7 5 4 3 1>
  144    0 0xffffff7f83fb6000 0x5000     0x5000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (5.1.22) 446923A0-E855-3E75-9173-66FA4CE2474A <141 7 5 4 3 1>
  145    0 0xffffff7f83fbb000 0x6000     0x6000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (5.1.22) 4A6C39E1-5D90-3E34-9673-57B0DD779CD7 <141 5 4 1>

Aurora-6:~ grego$ ls -al /
total 77
drwxr-xr-x   35 root  wheel  1258 Aug  1 04:02 .
drwxr-xr-x   35 root  wheel  1258 Aug  1 04:02 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 root  admin  8196 Oct  1 21:15 .DS_Store
d--x--x--x    9 root  wheel   306 Oct  1 20:52 .DocumentRevisions-V100
drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel    68 Nov  3  2013 .PKInstallSandboxManager
drwxr-xr-x@   2 root  wheel    68 Sep 29 15:26 .PKInstallSandboxManager-SystemSoftware
drwx------    5 root  wheel   170 Nov  3  2013 .Spotlight-V100
d-wx-wx-wt    2 root  wheel    68 Oct 18  2014 .Trashes
srwxrwxrwx    1 root  wheel     0 Oct 25  2014 .dbfseventsd
----------    1 root  admin     0 Feb 20  2017 .file
drwx------  275 root  wheel  9350 Oct  1 21:15 .fseventsd
drwxr-xr-x@   2 root  wheel    68 Nov 13  2016 .vol
drwxrwxr-x+  79 root  admin  2686 Oct  1 21:13 Applications
drwxrwxr-x    5 root  admin   170 Jan 24  2015 Incompatible Software
drwxr-xr-x+  68 root  wheel  2312 Oct  1 20:26 Library
drwxr-xr-x@   2 root  wheel    68 Nov 13  2016 Network
drwxr-xr-x@   4 root  wheel   136 Aug  1 04:03 System
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel    49 Feb 18  2014 User Information -> /Library/Documentation/User Information.localized
drwxr-xr-x    6 root  admin   204 Nov 13  2016 Users
drwxr-xr-x@   4 root  wheel   136 Oct  1 21:13 Volumes
drwxr-xr-x@  38 root  wheel  1292 Aug  1 04:03 bin
drwxrwxr-t@   2 root  admin    68 Nov 13  2016 cores
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root  wheel  4287 Oct  1 20:52 dev
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root  wheel    11 Nov 13  2016 etc -> private/etc
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root  wheel     1 Oct  1 20:57 home
-rw-r--r--@   1 root  wheel   313 Jul 30  2016 installer.failurerequests
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root  wheel     1 Oct  1 20:57 net
drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Apr 30 08:21 opt
drwxr-xr-x@   6 root  wheel   204 Nov 13  2016 private
drwxr-xr-x@  63 root  wheel  2142 Aug  1 04:03 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root  wheel    11 Nov 13  2016 tmp -> private/tmp
drwxr-xr-x@   9 root  wheel   306 Jan  2  2017 usr
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root  wheel    11 Nov 13  2016 var -> private/var

Aurora-6:~ grego$ ls -al /private/tmp/
total 0
drwxrwxrwt  6 root   wheel  204 Oct  1 21:04 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 6 root   wheel  204 Nov 13  2016 ..
-rw-rw-rw-  1 grego  wheel    0 Oct  1 20:52 .keystone_install_lock
drwx------  4 grego  wheel  136 Oct  1 21:04 .vbox-grego-ipc
drwx------  3 grego  wheel  102 Oct  1 20:52 com.apple.launchd.A2T95Zgmp6
drwx------  3 grego  wheel  102 Oct  1 20:52 com.apple.launchd.wdmpvfG410

Aurora-6:~ grego$ ls -al /Library/Extensions/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  wheel   442 Sep 14 12:37 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 68 root  wheel  2312 Oct  1 20:26 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Jun 12  2014 ACS6x.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Jun 27  2016 ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Jun 27  2016 ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Jun 27  2016 ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Aug 20  2013 ArcMSR.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Aug 31  2013 CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Aug 14  2014 HighPointIOP.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Aug 14  2014 HighPointRR.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Sep 23  2016 LaCieScsiType00.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Apr 27  2014 PromiseSTEX.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 Aug  3  2016 SoftRAID.kext
Last edited by socratis on 2. Oct 2017, 07:07, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

gregopad39 wrote:I have a pristine system without adulteration.
Nobody has that ;). The question is how much of it you have. Please provide the output of the following commands:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple
ls -al /
ls -al /private/tmp/
ls -al /Library/Extensions/