[Solved] Lagging too far behind

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ametee

[Solved] Lagging too far behind

Post by Ametee »

I currently have Ubuntu 16.04 as host and installed Windows 10 in virtualbox as guest. Everything is good but the guest system is lagging so much. Attached is the log file.

Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
VBox.log
(76.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by socratis on 15. Sep 2017, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Lagging too far behind

Post by mpack »

Check the guest task manager to see what is eating CPU and/or I/O. In the new Win10 install this is probably going to be Windows Update.
Ametee

Post by Ametee »

@mpack Thanks for your reply. I checked the task manager. Without running anything, "Windows Modules Installer Worker" takes most (~50%) CPU, and Disk usage is 96%.

The "Windows Modules Installer Worker" will work in background and stop automatically once the update is done?

Do you think I need to increase the size of disk for guest? Can I do it without reinstall guest?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ametee wrote:I currently have Ubuntu 16.04 as host and installed Windows 10 in virtualbox as guest.
Then this message definitely does not belong to the "OSX Hosts" section. Moving to "Windows Guests" where the problem is.

And to answer to your questions, that's the way things are, even in real life systems. Once the updates are done things are supposed to return to normal. As for the guest's disk size, that's a question that only you can answer depending on your needs. And yes, you can resize the disk size without reinstalling the guest. Have a look at How to resize a Virtual Drive. Special attention to Step 2, most of the people forget about it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ametee

Post by Ametee »

Thank you so much. The problem has been solved.
Last edited by socratis on 15. Sep 2017, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Lagging too far behind

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.