display resize events in RHEL7

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
eax

display resize events in RHEL7

Post by eax »

After upgrading my RHEL7 guest from 7.2, screen resizing stopped working. I have tried reinstalling the guest additions in my current 5.1.26 virtualbox installation; all modules seem to compile and install correctly. The display now appears as "default" in xrandr, listing 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 as available resolutions.

For context, RHEL7 recently upgraded to Xorg-1.19.3, meaning the guest additions no longer provide a compatible vboxvideo module (latest version implements ABI 20, need ABI 23). According to virtualbox ticket 16731 the vboxvideo module is deprecated in favor of DRM modules, so this presumably shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Going on a hunch from virtualbox ticket 16052, I tried using VirtualBox 5.2.0-BETA1 instead, however this fails to compile vbox_main.c due to not including the kernel DRM headers correctly (drm_gem_object is undefined).

CentOS7 is still on Xorg-1.17.2, so this problem is likely only reproducible on RHEL.
Sorry for not linking the virtualbox tickets directly; forum policies are preventing me from doing so.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: display resize events in RHEL7

Post by socratis »

Try with the Guest Additions (GAs) from the test builds area. As of this writing https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 117460.iso
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
edgilmore

Post by edgilmore »

Using the 5.1.27 Guest Additions solved it for me.
Full screen again.

RHEL 7.4 on Win64.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's because RHEL 7.4 sort of went a "little crazy". Read an appropriate comment in the 5.2beta section: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=84201#p399506
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
edgilmore

Post by edgilmore »

Thanks socratis.