MacOS VM on Mac - start VM - booting won't finish

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
huckleberryfinn

MacOS VM on Mac - start VM - booting won't finish

Post by huckleberryfinn »

I'm working on installing a Sierra VM on my Mac running Sierra.

I created an iso file and set up the machine following instructions in VirtualBox.

In Terminal I ran the command VBoxManage modifyvm "Virtual MacOS" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff

When I select the VM in VirtualBox and click "Start" I get that stream of white text when it boots, which also includes some errors, but I read this would happen in an instruction and that I needn't worry unless it hangs for five minutes or more. But then it just hangs and hangs and nothing happens, except the swirling rainbow underneath the cursor and I wait but nothing happens.

I'm attaching the log as a zip to this post.

Thank you!
Attachments
Virtual MacOS-2017-08-05-12-14-47.log.zip
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: MacOS VM on Mac - start VM - booting won't finish

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts", since the problem is with your guest, not your host.

You didn't mention the exact Sierra version that you're trying to install, but if it's anything above 10.12.3, you're out of luck. See: #16644: Installation of clean OSX 10.12.4 fails.

You also didn't mention how you got your ISO, but take also a look at: [Howto] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
huckleberryfinn

Thank you!

Yes, I'm running 10.12.6 on my Mac and that's also the version I used for making the iso file.

The forum won't allow me to post urls yet, so I can't link to the site I used for instructions for creating the iso file, but there's a picture on that site that sums up the Terminal commands and I'm attaching it here.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto-2017-02-13-um-01.56.44-minishadow_thumb.png
Bildschirmfoto-2017-02-13-um-01.56.44-minishadow_thumb.png (107.94 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

huckleberryfinn wrote:Yes, I'm running 10.12.6 on my Mac and that's also the version I used for making the iso file.
You may have missed my previous comment, so, I'll highlight it for you:
socratis wrote:if it's anything above 10.12.3, you're out of luck. See: #16644: Installation of clean OSX 10.12.4 fails.
This is also mentioned with a red-letter warning in the other link that I gave you: [Howto] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app. In the future, please take the time to read the links that I'm pointing you to, otherwise, I'm going to point no more...

PS. I'm not sure why you thought there was a need to modify your presented CPU with the "--cpuidset", but in your case you don't have to. This trick was only used for newer CPUs to run older OSX guests. You do *not* have that problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
huckleberryfinn

I'm sorry, my comment was meant to say that yes, that applies to me so yep, I guess I'm out of luck. Sorry, I should have been clearer on that :)

As for modifying the CPU, it was part of the instruction so I thought it was a necessary step.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just to give you an idea of where we're standing right now, have a look at an excerpt from a dialog with a developer about this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81443&start=30#p399211

BTW, would you mind posting tomorrow (when you will be able to) the URL for that site that you got the script and the image from? TIA...
huckleberryfinn

Thank you! Yes I will post it tomorrow. It's in German but there's screenshots and Terminal commands.